Horned Puffins, Pygmy Nuthatches and CA Condors

  • wahoo92677
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 11, 2007
      Traveling down the coast on Sunday and Monday July 8th & 9th, we had
      HORNED PUFFIN sightings in three coastal counties. Our first bird
      was in Ano Nuevo Bay (San Mateo Co.) on Sunday evening 7/8/07, then
      another HOPU at Natural Bridges Park in Santa Cruz County. On Monday
      7/9/07, we had five Monterey County individual HOPUs at three
      separate locations in the A.M., first (1 bird) at Ocean View Drive
      and Asilomar St., (3) birds at the light station point about ½ mile
      south of Asilomar St., and 1 bird beyond Sandy Hill point at Point
      Lobos State Reserve.

      Also, several PYGMY NUTHATCHES were present right at the northern
      entrance to 17-mile drive in the closed-cone pine forest there, two
      non-breeding plumaged PACIFIC LOONS in the bay near Spy Glass G.C.
      along 17-mile drive.

      Finally, along Hwy 1, about 5 miles south of Big Sur post office we
      had two CALIFORNIA CONDORS soaring along the coast line. One adult
      and one immature bird.

      Robert McNab
      Laguna Niguel, CA