odd colored Nuttall's woodpecker

  • mry_crmr
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 7, 2007
      My sisters and I spotted a woodpecker with classic Nuttall's field
      marks and call notes EXCEPT its barred back and side spots on wings
      were brown and white and its primaries were a tan color (lighter than
      the brown on her back). Her tail was black and her head colors and
      side/breast spots were black and white. We thought maybe this was an
      Arizona/Nuttall's hybrid, but their ranges do not seem to overlap. We
      checked to make sure it was not a hybrid Ladder-backed/Arizona
      woodpecker, but the facial pattern and white breast color (along with
      Nuttall's call notes and rattle) seemed to eliminate that possibility.

      The mystery bird was seen in the local park in Pine Valley (across
      from the hamburger stand on the main road) on June 27. Sorry for the late
      post but we had no internet access until now. We are from Washington
      State and maybe this coloration is not that unusual... Comments
      appreciated to satisfy our curiosity.

      Liz Cormier, Seattle, WA
    • B & C Yutzy
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 7, 2007
        You might consider that the bird probably has some leucistic (albino
        type) characteristics to it. Thus the black areas are washed out and
        are brownish. I believe I have seen the same thing at some time in the
        past in another black and white bird.

        Photos of such individuals are neat to look!

        Take Care,

        Bob Yutzy
        Shasta, CA