Whip-Poor-Will Continues but....

  • Steve Glover
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 7, 2007
      Hi all,
      I left last night after work to try for the
      Whip-poor-will in eastern Humboldt County. The bird
      has apparently been singing from 9 pm to 5 am. It
      didn't exactly do that last night. I arrived at Willow
      Creek on Hwy 299 and quickly found Enchanted Lane and
      the church east of town. I parked behind the church at
      12:15 and began to listen. And listen. And listen. At
      4:55 am I started to hear Hermit Thrushes and Robins
      and thought my nightjar was cooked. But promptly at
      5:08 the bird began to sing directly across Enchanted
      Way from the front entrance to the church. His effort,
      in all honesty, was pretty half-assed and he was done
      singing by 5:10.
      I don't know if he sang before midnight but I will say
      that if you plan on trying for the bird closer to dawn
      you might have a plan b ready.
      Good luck,
      Steve Glover
      Dublin, CA