black skimmers in Shoreline Park, Mountain View

  • dr_dave_bob
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 4, 2007
      My first post to Calbirds!

      This may not be news, but I've had some good views of a pair of black
      skimmers apparently making their home on the island in Shoreline Lake,
      in Shoreline Park, Mountain View. Here's a link to my bird site:

      http://www.leahy.to/birds/black%20skimmer.html

      I first saw them on Sunday, July 1, and went back this morning (July
      4) and was able to watch them at my leisure at close range from the
      edge of the golf course. The black skimmers were unperturbed by the
      legion of rookie wind surfers thrashing around in very close proximity
      to this otherwise well isolated island.

      DaveL
      Los Trancos Woods, CA
    • Bill Clark
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 17, 2007
        The Black Skimmers continue at Shoreline Park in Mtn View as of
        7/14/07. They appear to be nesting on the island. At the end of
        the road in Shoreline park there is a lake with an island filled
        with nesting birds (Forster's Terns, Am. Avocets and Stilts). I
        couldn't get a good view from shore, so I rented a kayak and paddled
        around the island. The pair of Black Skimmers were easily seen both
        on the nest and flying.

        For a slideshow of pictures:
        http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8AcNnDlo0Zt253

        Bill Clark
        Livermore, CA

        --- In CALBIRDS@yahoogroups.com>
        I've had some good views of a pair of black skimmers apparently
        making their home on the island in Shoreline Lake,in Shoreline Park,
        Mountain View. I first saw them on Sunday, July 1, and went back
        this morning (July 4) and was able to watch them at my leisure at
        close range from the edge of the golf course. DaveL