ALCATRAZ ISLAND

  • lennelsn2001
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 27, 2007
      I am sure that I missed it but, has anyone made a posting about the
      hundreds (and hundreds) of Western Gulls and Brandt's Cormorants that
      can be easily seen and readily photographed on Alcatraz?

      The boat ride there costs only about $21.00 from San Francisco and
      takes about 20 minutes and you can take all of your photo equipment
      (or a lot anyway) with you and spend the day (from about 9:00 - 5:00)
      imaging Western Gulls and their chicks at close range (think 5' at
      best and about 75 yards at worst). The Brandt's Cormorants and their
      chicks are in an area right below a great outlook (called Barker
      Beach).

      Let me know if anyone would care for any more info.
      If you go - plan to bring layered clothing.

      Best regards,

      Len Nelson
      Petaluma