Re: Sacto NWR birds, exotics eradication

  • Jim Greaves
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 19, 2007
      As I wrote Ann off-line, I've made similar comments and cautions about
      Arundo donax removal, and advocated both privately as well as in my
      line of work, for the replacement "in kind" for lost structure that
      many birds have come to expect... I know for fact that more than a
      dozen common and some not-so-common open-cup nesting bird species use
      it for cover, support, and/or suspension of nests (in addition, Green
      herons and probably some hawks use it as well). These include, but are
      not limited to, Least Bell's and Hutton's vireos, Swainson's thrush,
      Wrentit, Pacific-slope and SW Willow flycatchers, California towhee,
      Anna's and Allen's hummingbirds, among a list I have personally seen
      and photographed. So, while I was commenting about Eucalyptus, it was
      more to the point that an alien PEST bird species is being raised on
      what is supposed to be a wildlife refuge for native species, NOT
      exotics. We have zoos for those. And I do realize that many of our
      native birds use the trees for roosting and nesting. But, if we are
      going to rid California of noxious plants, then it seems the large,
      obvious ones have got to be given the same boot that some of the
      lesser ones are being afforded :-) - Jim Greaves
    • Jim Greaves
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 22, 2007
        In addition to my prior comments, I bloviate a bit long-windedly about
        exotics (picking on arundo, but not opposed to its eradication) here:

        http://mysite.verizon.net/res1u8vm/Aliens_nests_1.html

        (some of links are not working, but the list is accurate. I have been
        migrating pages from one site to another, and cheap program I use
        requires that I re-write "code" on each page and the main page - I will
        get to that soon)

        I have noted a few more nests of listed species since I updated page
        (Oct 2005), but so far haven't found any species to add to the list,
        though increasingly I suspect others.

        As always, if you have comments, don't hesitate to write; if you find
        typos, correct me; if I confuse, let me know and I'll try to spain
        myself.

        Jim Greaves
        Santa Barbara