puffin search in Sonoma and Mendocino

  • John Sterling
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 10, 2007
      Yesterday John Luther and I failed to find any Horned Puffins from Jenner
      north to Pt. Arena (northern Sonoma to southern Mendocino counties). We
      looked hard at a quite a few locations. Much of the coast line is private
      and not accessible, so we didn't check every possible location. One Tufted
      Puffin at the Pt. Arena cove was a highlight. Also at Greistler (sp.?)
      campground at Salt Point State Park on the Sonoma coast, there was a Common
      Nighthawk at night and a singing Purple Martin at dawn. Also a pair of
      martins were on the wire over Gualala River at the bridge. Another martin
      was on the ridgetop at Pine Flat Road in Sonoma County (but no Black-chinned
      Sparrows that I could locate in the late afternoon).

      John Sterling

      26 Palm Ave

      Woodland, CA 95695

      530-908-3836 (cell)