Blue-footed Booby, Coastal Los Angeles County

  • Kevin Larson
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 9, 2007
      Greetings,

      At the Pt. Vicente Fishing Access parking lot on the Palos Verdes
      Peninsula, at around 08:45 this morning, I spotted an adult BLUE-FOOTED
      BOOBY in southward flight following a single Brown Pelican. It peeled
      off in the opposite direction to briefly join a small group of pelicans,
      after which it settled down to land on the water. It sat on the water
      alone for much of an hour, a few times making brief flights and sitting
      down again. It got up at about 09:50 and flew to the north and out of
      view past Pt. Vicente.

      The bird was nicely marked, and in full adult plumage as far as I could
      tell. In flight, there was a large white hindneck area in front of the
      brown mantle. It had an obvious white rump patch. A brown area was
      between the white rump patch and the mostly whitish appearing (on the
      upper surface) tail section. Pale head (light brown above) and gray bill.

      Kevin Larson
      Lawndale