Red-Whiskered Bulbul in L.A.

  • connie8908
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 3, 2007
      I'm certain that I saw a Red-Whiskered Bulbul at the Los Angeles County
      Arboretum on Monday morning, May 27. Nat Geo mentions a small colony
      in the L.A. area -- but as I always second-guess myself, can any of you
      confirm that this is actually possible ????

      I only saw the underside as it was very active and bouncing around the
      tree top -- I saw white underside with a distinctive black line at the
      side of the face and orange undertail coverts. Also caught a glimpse of
      a crest.

      Thanks to all.

      Connie Nelson
      Fremont
    • Kimball Garrett
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 4, 2007
        Connie,

        Yes, you almost certainly DID see a Red-whiskered Bulbul at the L. A.
        County Arboretum. This species is a local resident in the San Gabriel
        Valley of Los Angeles County, and it is most easily found around the
        larger botanical gardens (the County Arboretum in Arcadia and Huntington
        Gardens in San Marino). This population has existed since at least the
        late 1960s; eradication efforts by the California Dept. of Food and
        Agriculture in the 1970s were incomplete, and the species has regained
        some of its former numbers and distribution in the San Gabriel Valley.
        Total numbers are still low -- perhaps a hundred or so -- and the
        species is not on the CBRC official California State List as an
        established introduced species.

        Kimball

        Kimball L. Garrett
        Ornithology Collections Manager