May: East Kern 24-25, Death Valley 25-27, Shoshone, and Zzyzx

  • Mike Tyner
    Message 1 of 1 , May 29, 2007
      Quick report: On the 24th at Butterbredt there was an OVENBIRD and
      two at Silver Saddle Resort. On the 25th the Ovenbird contiued at
      Butterbredt then later in Jawbone Canyon there was another OVENBIRD
      and a ROSE-BREASTED GROSBEAK (2nd year male). Later on the 25th at
      Death Valley at Scotty's Castle there was a young male SUMMER TANAGER
      near the restrooms. Later still in the the afternoon at Furnace
      Creek along airport road there was a female type SUMMER TANAGER in
      Tamarisk 1/2 way along the golf course. At the NW corner of the
      course near the burms there was a sickly looking immature male?
      NORTHERN PARULA, an EASTERN KINGBIRD, and an INDIGO BUNTING (of which
      there were at least 3, probably more like 5 in total at the golf
      course). On the 26th in the same nw corner there was a singing
      PROTHONOTARY WARBLER, an adult male AMERICAN REDSTART, and a BLACK
      TERN over the larger pond. This nw corner was very productive with
      all vagrants I saw at furnace creek in the small Acacia? patch along
      the road right where the berms along the golf course begin to curve
      south. On the 27th, now teamed up with Matt Brady, Ryan Terrill,
      David Vander Pluym, and others we refound the Prothonotary Warbler
      still singing in the same area, we also had a Swainson's Hawk,
      multiple Indigo Buntings, and a SUMMER TANAGER. Later that day at
      Shoshone we had a possible female Rose-breasted Grosbeak at feeders
      in a trailer park and at least a couple more Indigo Buntings. At
      Zzyzx there was a SCISSOR-TAILED FLYCATCHER near the pool. I think
      that's about it. Others should report more as I know more great
      birds were and are being found out in the desert.

      Mike Tyner
      Big Sur