RE: [CALBIRDS] poll questions

  • Al Eisner
    Message 1 of 5 , May 14 11:22 AM
      Folks:

      I tend to agree with the position favoring the current scope of CALBIRDS
      postings, a position shared by people with a wide range of birding ex-
      perience, including CBRC member Alvaro:

      > Calbirds does not, and need not be just about rare birds. It should also
      > be about rare or interesting occurrences, and a place where one can get the
      > big picture. Rare occurrences such as: beached seabirds; odd water
      > temperatures in ocean, effects on birds; pelican productivity this year;
      > patterns of distribution of breeders due to dry winter. any million other
      > interesting things we can learn about, even bushtits doing something
      > noteworthy in someone's backyard. I don't travel throughout the state, I
      > like hearing what is going on elsewhere and this does not mean a focus on
      > rare birds necessarily. And note this is coming from someone on the CBRC
      > currently. I want to hear duffers chattering! :-)

      I don't at all sense that CALBIRDS is being heavily moderated, as suggested
      by one poster; rather, the moderators' touch seems rather light. Doug and
      the other moderators can correct me if this is wrong and if the moderators
      are swamped by work (although this would likely get much heavier with a
      restricted focus). Traffic isn't very heavy, and it's already easy to
      "filter" ones own reading -- that would be easier still if more people
      added some helpful words to their message titles, as others have suggested.
      So, the proposal does have an air of a solution in search of a problem.

      I'd like to add and expand upon a comment I made privately to Doug, since
      I haven't heard back. CALBIRDS has three categories of participants:
      (1) subscribers who are registered with Yahoo,
      (2) subscribers who are not registered with Yahoo,
      (3) those who participate by reading archived messages. (This would
      likely include visitors to CA, for whom the list is a resource.)
      I (falling into category 2) feel it is disciminatory to conduct the
      survey in a way in which only those in category (1) could officially
      reply and (presumably) "be counted". That simply does not reflect the
      true constituency of CALBIRDS. Please at least post the "official"
      question on the mail list, and accept EMail replies.

      Thanks, Al Eisner
      San Mateo Co.