Re: [CALBIRDS] poll questions

  • Lilith Mageborn
    Message 1 of 5 , May 13, 2007
      Hear hear hear.

      I've posted to this list whenever I prepare for a trip outside of Orange
      County (and the greater LA Metro area), and the help and recommendations
      I've received has been fantastic. I've also enjoyed trip reports from
      others because they give me a better idea where to find certain birds. At
      present, I've passed the 250-bird mark on my life list, most of which
      were within California, so I'm certainly not an expert birder. I'm
      constantly learning (and getting egg on my face every other season), and
      I'm enjoying adding to my life list. I'm very holistically-oriented; I'm
      aware of how much birds impact surroundings and surroundings impact
      birds. So backyard birds, beached birds, migrating flocks changing their
      itineraries, and the like, all such reports interest me very much.

      None of this would have been possible if Calbirds had narrowed its scope.

      Hey, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

      Sue Jorgenson
      Anaheim CA

      (PS/ I've been trying to find a statewide or a local group for New Mexico
      birding on YahooGroups, since
      I'll be in Santa Fe mid-July -- to no avail. Anyone? Thanks! sj)

      On Sun, 13 May 2007 14:21:03 -0700 "Alvaro Jaramillo"
      <chucao@...> writes:
      > Well said Debbie et al.
      >

      > Calbirds does not, and need not be just about rare birds. It
      > should also
      > be about rare or interesting occurrences, and a place where one can
      > get the
      > big picture.
    • Al Eisner
      Message 2 of 5 , May 14, 2007
        Folks:

        I tend to agree with the position favoring the current scope of CALBIRDS
        postings, a position shared by people with a wide range of birding ex-
        perience, including CBRC member Alvaro:

        > Calbirds does not, and need not be just about rare birds. It should also
        > be about rare or interesting occurrences, and a place where one can get the
        > big picture. Rare occurrences such as: beached seabirds; odd water
        > temperatures in ocean, effects on birds; pelican productivity this year;
        > patterns of distribution of breeders due to dry winter. any million other
        > interesting things we can learn about, even bushtits doing something
        > noteworthy in someone's backyard. I don't travel throughout the state, I
        > like hearing what is going on elsewhere and this does not mean a focus on
        > rare birds necessarily. And note this is coming from someone on the CBRC
        > currently. I want to hear duffers chattering! :-)

        I don't at all sense that CALBIRDS is being heavily moderated, as suggested
        by one poster; rather, the moderators' touch seems rather light. Doug and
        the other moderators can correct me if this is wrong and if the moderators
        are swamped by work (although this would likely get much heavier with a
        restricted focus). Traffic isn't very heavy, and it's already easy to
        "filter" ones own reading -- that would be easier still if more people
        added some helpful words to their message titles, as others have suggested.
        So, the proposal does have an air of a solution in search of a problem.

        I'd like to add and expand upon a comment I made privately to Doug, since
        I haven't heard back. CALBIRDS has three categories of participants:
        (1) subscribers who are registered with Yahoo,
        (2) subscribers who are not registered with Yahoo,
        (3) those who participate by reading archived messages. (This would
        likely include visitors to CA, for whom the list is a resource.)
        I (falling into category 2) feel it is disciminatory to conduct the
        survey in a way in which only those in category (1) could officially
        reply and (presumably) "be counted". That simply does not reflect the
        true constituency of CALBIRDS. Please at least post the "official"
        question on the mail list, and accept EMail replies.

        Thanks, Al Eisner
        San Mateo Co.