RE: [CALBIRDS] poll questions

  • Alvaro Jaramillo
    Message 1 of 5 , May 13, 2007
      Well said Debbie et al.

      Calbirds does not, and need not be just about rare birds. It should also
      be about rare or interesting occurrences, and a place where one can get the
      big picture. Rare occurrences such as: beached seabirds; odd water
      temperatures in ocean, effects on birds; pelican productivity this year;
      patterns of distribution of breeders due to dry winter�.any million other
      interesting things we can learn about, even bushtits doing something
      noteworthy in someone�s backyard. I don�t travel throughout the state, I
      like hearing what is going on elsewhere and this does not mean a focus on
      rare birds necessarily. And note�this is coming from someone on the CBRC
      currently�.I want to hear duffers chattering! :-)

      Cheers

      Al

      Alvaro Jaramillo

      HYPERLINK "mailto:chucao@..."chucao@...

      Half Moon Bay, California

      Field Guides - Birding Tours Worldwide

      HYPERLINK "http://www.fieldguides.com"www.fieldguides.com

      _____

      Message 2 of 5 , May 13, 2007
        Hear hear hear.

        I've posted to this list whenever I prepare for a trip outside of Orange
        County (and the greater LA Metro area), and the help and recommendations
        I've received has been fantastic. I've also enjoyed trip reports from
        others because they give me a better idea where to find certain birds. At
        present, I've passed the 250-bird mark on my life list, most of which
        were within California, so I'm certainly not an expert birder. I'm
        constantly learning (and getting egg on my face every other season), and
        I'm enjoying adding to my life list. I'm very holistically-oriented; I'm
        aware of how much birds impact surroundings and surroundings impact
        birds. So backyard birds, beached birds, migrating flocks changing their
        itineraries, and the like, all such reports interest me very much.

        None of this would have been possible if Calbirds had narrowed its scope.

        Hey, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

        Sue Jorgenson
        Anaheim CA

        (PS/ I've been trying to find a statewide or a local group for New Mexico
        birding on YahooGroups, since
        I'll be in Santa Fe mid-July -- to no avail. Anyone? Thanks! sj)

        On Sun, 13 May 2007 14:21:03 -0700 "Alvaro Jaramillo"
        <chucao@...> writes:
        > Well said Debbie et al.
        >

        > Calbirds does not, and need not be just about rare birds. It
        > should also
        > be about rare or interesting occurrences, and a place where one can
        > get the
        > big picture.
      • Al Eisner
        Message 3 of 5 , May 14, 2007
          Folks:

          I tend to agree with the position favoring the current scope of CALBIRDS
          postings, a position shared by people with a wide range of birding ex-
          perience, including CBRC member Alvaro:

          > Calbirds does not, and need not be just about rare birds. It should also
          > be about rare or interesting occurrences, and a place where one can get the
          > big picture. Rare occurrences such as: beached seabirds; odd water
          > temperatures in ocean, effects on birds; pelican productivity this year;
          > patterns of distribution of breeders due to dry winter. any million other
          > interesting things we can learn about, even bushtits doing something
          > noteworthy in someone's backyard. I don't travel throughout the state, I
          > like hearing what is going on elsewhere and this does not mean a focus on
          > rare birds necessarily. And note this is coming from someone on the CBRC
          > currently. I want to hear duffers chattering! :-)

          I don't at all sense that CALBIRDS is being heavily moderated, as suggested
          by one poster; rather, the moderators' touch seems rather light. Doug and
          the other moderators can correct me if this is wrong and if the moderators
          are swamped by work (although this would likely get much heavier with a
          restricted focus). Traffic isn't very heavy, and it's already easy to
          "filter" ones own reading -- that would be easier still if more people
          added some helpful words to their message titles, as others have suggested.
          So, the proposal does have an air of a solution in search of a problem.

          I'd like to add and expand upon a comment I made privately to Doug, since
          I haven't heard back. CALBIRDS has three categories of participants:
          (1) subscribers who are registered with Yahoo,
          (2) subscribers who are not registered with Yahoo,
          (3) those who participate by reading archived messages. (This would
          likely include visitors to CA, for whom the list is a resource.)
          I (falling into category 2) feel it is disciminatory to conduct the
          survey in a way in which only those in category (1) could officially
          reply and (presumably) "be counted". That simply does not reflect the
          true constituency of CALBIRDS. Please at least post the "official"
          question on the mail list, and accept EMail replies.

          Thanks, Al Eisner
          San Mateo Co.