Re:New Poll

  • David Coursey
    Message 1 of 5 , May 13, 2007
      Here¹s what I¹d like see, using a news analogy, since news is what we¹re
      really talking about:

      1. CALBIRDS Hot < This is for CBRC sightings only. The only thing that goes
      to this list are important sightings, location/access, and follow-up. These
      are birds people would drive considerable distances to see. A group of
      moderators (a big group) can repost items here from the Seen list. The idea
      is not to be a clique < have enough moderators that stuff reposts quickly
      but not too many as to keep the noise down. I imagine dozens of moderators.
      2. CALBIRDS Seen < New list for sightings and distribution list for all CA
      ³birds of note² There could be a species list or not for this list because
      an element would include ³unusual for this place² sightings. These are birds
      that people would drive to see, within their local area or region. Anyone
      posts here.
      3. CALBIRD < This is the existing list, for and about CA birds and birders,
      this is where club events, trip lists, general RFI¹s go, as well as all the
      content that also goes to the two ³upper lists.² Anyone posts here.

      Basically, CALBIRDS gets all postings, and you crosspost upstream. The
      top-level list should be able to go to pagers/SMS because the sightings are
      so important. ³Seen² is the list you¹d read at the office, and CALBIRDS is
      allowed to be a tad more chatty.

      Hope this helps.

      David
      Tracy

    • Kris Olson
      Message 2 of 5 , May 13, 2007
        I vote for keeping Cal Birds open. I have seen new birders post there
        recently (not realizing that it's preferable to use one's local list)-- and
        I think it's great to encourage them. People are so easily turned off to
        using lists if they are criticized for their sightings (I realize that what
        is criticism to one is feedback to another) -- I think it's better to have
        more birders using the list than to have fewer good birders. More birders
        lead to better bird conversation.

        As others have suggested, we could meet the needs of the better birders by
        (1) using headings in our posts such as RARE or TRIP REPORT or COUNTY NAME
        -- come up with some conventions that would help people select the messages
        they want. We can also (2) develop a special list for California Rare bird
        sightings. There is one on gmail; I would suggest keeping them all on Yahoo
        group so we have only one place to go to change vacation mails, etc. (3)
        Doug could write a nice welcome message and explain all the local lists one
        could join as the primary reporting mechanism and explain what CAL birds is
        for (what is it for?) All sorts of way to try to solve both sets of needs.

        When one compares CAL Birds to Tweeters (Washington) and Mass Birds, we are
        doing pretty well.

        Kris Olson, Menlo Park CA

        Message 3 of 5 , May 13, 2007
          "Only New State Records/CBRC Review Species and other rarities." The
          last three words in that sentence are.....the ultimate politicians
          loop hole?!

          Was rather surprised at the number of people who want to narrow the
          focus of the list. A more focused list would be pretty neat and I do
          not have a problem with that at all. The only emails would be the
          serious ones. Get a message from that list and BAM you hit the road
          for rarity! Just did a reread of the guidelines on the CALBIRDS home
          page and it seems to be working fine to me. I see the voting is
          currently running more in favor of happy with what it is. Was not
          aware there was a problem till I got home this evening. Heck, I'm
          already on a dozen lists now and my delete button works just fine.
          CALBIRDS has one of the largest member lists of any of the bird lists
          right? Must be a reason for that. Because it is working fine?

          Seems to me a more focused list would be a great NEW list. Might
          even sign up for it myself..or not.

          If CALBIRDS is to become that more focused list though....please go
          ahead and remove me now.