poll questions

  • Jim Greaves
    Message 1 of 5 , May 13, 2007
      Hi Y'all -- Seems to me a simple matter to delete irrelevancies from
      one's in box. It's hard to believe, but I know it's true, that there
      are some folk who are so specialized as to have lost sight of what
      birding and bird documentation sites like this are or were, why one
      would have a site like this in the first place: to expand a knowledge
      base AND document rare or unusual occurrences while doing so. One
      person's rarity may be ho hum to someone else. What is wrong with
      having someone post sightings of nesting bushtits, for instance? Are
      they not uncommon SOMEWHERE in California, and when that rare event
      occurs that it nests in a new spot, because it is not CBRC species,
      no one on THIS list would be the wiser! Who decides what is "rare"? A
      small cadre of elitists who can't stand the chatter of us duffers?
      That would be a shame, as there would be a real chance that the oft
      rare sightings by chatterers would be lost to the elitist, and thus
      all of us in the end. Keep it as it is, or some of us middle-
      grounders, who sometimes share here, will no longer have a reason to
      post what we see here, especially such time-consuming things as
      processed photos - since we would have no idea whether or not they
      would either be used or even appreciated by snobs. Elitists will be
      the losers when they have isolated themselves from the rest of us. We
      have enough of that in the "2 Americas" some elitists have claimed us
      to be. With all due respect I remain, sincerely, Jim Greaves, Santa
      Barbara [I cite the report of expanded range of breeding by Chestnut-
      backed Chickadee reported on SBCobirding site, as an example of one
      kind of report that might be lost to Calbirds should it narrow its
      focus beyond myopia]
    • debbie viess
      Message 2 of 5 , May 13, 2007
        Hear, hear.

        My delete button is well used. I read only a fraction
        of what comes into my mailbox, but I want the ability
        to pick and chose what I do read from a large pool of
        possibilities. Otherwise, how can we get the big
        picture? Everyone has different interests.

        Debbie Viess
        Oakland

        As an interesting aside...CB Chickadees were unknown
        in the SF Bay Area in the fifties; they are now one of
        our most common breeding birds. The only constant is
        change.

      • Alvaro Jaramillo
        Message 3 of 5 , May 13, 2007
          Well said Debbie et al.

          Calbirds does not, and need not be just about rare birds. It should also
          be about rare or interesting occurrences, and a place where one can get the
          big picture. Rare occurrences such as: beached seabirds; odd water
          temperatures in ocean, effects on birds; pelican productivity this year;
          patterns of distribution of breeders due to dry winter�.any million other
          interesting things we can learn about, even bushtits doing something
          noteworthy in someone�s backyard. I don�t travel throughout the state, I
          like hearing what is going on elsewhere and this does not mean a focus on
          rare birds necessarily. And note�this is coming from someone on the CBRC
          currently�.I want to hear duffers chattering! :-)

          Cheers

          Al

          Alvaro Jaramillo

          HYPERLINK "mailto:chucao@..."chucao@...

          Half Moon Bay, California

          Field Guides - Birding Tours Worldwide

          HYPERLINK "http://www.fieldguides.com"www.fieldguides.com

          _____

          My delete button is well used. I read only a fraction
          of what comes into my mailbox, but I want the ability
          to pick and chose what I do read from a large pool of
          possibilities. Otherwise, how can we get the big
          picture? Everyone has different interests.

          Debbie Viess
          Oakland

          As an interesting aside...CB Chickadees were unknown
          in the SF Bay Area in the fifties; they are now one of
          our most common breeding birds. The only constant is
          change.

          --- Jim Greaves <HYPERLINK
          "mailto:lbvi.man%40verizon.net"lbvi.man@verizon.-net> wrote:

          > Hi Y'all -- Seems to me a simple matter to delete
          > irrelevancies from
          > one's in box. It's hard to believe, but I know it's
          > true, that there
          > are some folk who are so specialized as to have lost
          > sight of what
          > birding and bird documentation sites like this are
          > or were, why one
          > would have a site like this in the first place: to
          > expand a knowledge
          > base AND document rare or unusual occurrences while
          > doing so. One
          > person's rarity may be ho hum to someone else. What
          > is wrong with
          > having someone post sightings of nesting bushtits,
          > for instance? Are
          > they not uncommon SOMEWHERE in California, and when
          > that rare event
          > occurs that it nests in a new spot, because it is
          > not CBRC species,
          > no one on THIS list would be the wiser! Who decides
          > what is "rare"? A
          > small cadre of elitists who can't stand the chatter
          > of us duffers?
          > That would be a shame, as there would be a real
          > chance that the oft
          > rare sightings by chatterers would be lost to the
          > elitist, and thus
          > all of us in the end. Keep it as it is, or some of
          > us middle-
          > grounders, who sometimes share here, will no longer
          > have a reason to
          > post what we see here, especially such
          > time-consuming things as
          > processed photos - since we would have no idea
          > whether or not they
          > would either be used or even appreciated by snobs.
          > Elitists will be
          > the losers when they have isolated themselves from
          > the rest of us. We
          > have enough of that in the "2 Americas" some
          > elitists have claimed us
          > to be. With all due respect I remain, sincerely, Jim
          > Greaves, Santa
          > Barbara [I cite the report of expanded range of
          > breeding by Chestnut-
          > backed Chickadee reported on SBCobirding site, as an
          > example of one
          > kind of report that might be lost to Calbirds should
          > it narrow its
          > focus beyond myopia]

          Checked by AVG Free Edition.
          12:17 PM

          Checked by AVG Free Edition.
          12:17 PM

        • Lilith Mageborn
          Message 4 of 5 , May 13, 2007
            Hear hear hear.

            I've posted to this list whenever I prepare for a trip outside of Orange
            County (and the greater LA Metro area), and the help and recommendations
            I've received has been fantastic. I've also enjoyed trip reports from
            others because they give me a better idea where to find certain birds. At
            present, I've passed the 250-bird mark on my life list, most of which
            were within California, so I'm certainly not an expert birder. I'm
            constantly learning (and getting egg on my face every other season), and
            I'm enjoying adding to my life list. I'm very holistically-oriented; I'm
            aware of how much birds impact surroundings and surroundings impact
            birds. So backyard birds, beached birds, migrating flocks changing their
            itineraries, and the like, all such reports interest me very much.

            None of this would have been possible if Calbirds had narrowed its scope.

            Hey, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

            Sue Jorgenson
            Anaheim CA

            (PS/ I've been trying to find a statewide or a local group for New Mexico
            birding on YahooGroups, since
            I'll be in Santa Fe mid-July -- to no avail. Anyone? Thanks! sj)

            On Sun, 13 May 2007 14:21:03 -0700 "Alvaro Jaramillo"
            <chucao@...> writes:
            > Well said Debbie et al.
            >

            > Calbirds does not, and need not be just about rare birds. It
            > should also
            > be about rare or interesting occurrences, and a place where one can
            > get the
            > big picture.
          • Al Eisner
            Message 5 of 5 , May 14, 2007
              Folks:

              I tend to agree with the position favoring the current scope of CALBIRDS
              postings, a position shared by people with a wide range of birding ex-
              perience, including CBRC member Alvaro:

              > Calbirds does not, and need not be just about rare birds. It should also
              > be about rare or interesting occurrences, and a place where one can get the
              > big picture. Rare occurrences such as: beached seabirds; odd water
              > temperatures in ocean, effects on birds; pelican productivity this year;
              > patterns of distribution of breeders due to dry winter. any million other
              > interesting things we can learn about, even bushtits doing something
              > noteworthy in someone's backyard. I don't travel throughout the state, I
              > like hearing what is going on elsewhere and this does not mean a focus on
              > rare birds necessarily. And note this is coming from someone on the CBRC
              > currently. I want to hear duffers chattering! :-)

              I don't at all sense that CALBIRDS is being heavily moderated, as suggested
              by one poster; rather, the moderators' touch seems rather light. Doug and
              the other moderators can correct me if this is wrong and if the moderators
              are swamped by work (although this would likely get much heavier with a
              restricted focus). Traffic isn't very heavy, and it's already easy to
              "filter" ones own reading -- that would be easier still if more people
              added some helpful words to their message titles, as others have suggested.
              So, the proposal does have an air of a solution in search of a problem.

              I'd like to add and expand upon a comment I made privately to Doug, since
              I haven't heard back. CALBIRDS has three categories of participants:
              (1) subscribers who are registered with Yahoo,
              (2) subscribers who are not registered with Yahoo,
              (3) those who participate by reading archived messages. (This would
              likely include visitors to CA, for whom the list is a resource.)
              I (falling into category 2) feel it is disciminatory to conduct the
              survey in a way in which only those in category (1) could officially
              reply and (presumably) "be counted". That simply does not reflect the
              true constituency of CALBIRDS. Please at least post the "official"
              question on the mail list, and accept EMail replies.

              Thanks, Al Eisner
              San Mateo Co.