Question before Vote

  • dottycala
    Message 1 of 4 , May 13, 2007
      Question before vote:
      Is there a link to a current list of state birds and a link to
      the CBRC Review list that would help those of us who are only really
      familiar with birds common to our own region, weed out what birds to
      report as state rarities, vagrants, etc. Please let me know.
      Thank you.
      Dotty Calabrese
      Mountain View, CA
      SCVAS
    • OrCoRBA
      Message 2 of 4 , May 13, 2007
        I don't see an answer yet to the question of where to find the California
        Bird List or the Review Species.

        See:
        http://www.wfo-cbrc.org/cbrc/list.html

        for that information.

        Joel Weintraub
        Dana Point, CA
      • Jamie Chavez
        Message 3 of 4 , May 13, 2007
          Group,

          Just to complicate things even further, some time ago, and almost as an
          experiment when Yahoo was having message delivery problems (I am also a
          Yahoo list owner), I had set up a CBRC "review list" reporting group through
          Google.

          See:
          http://groups.google.com/group/CA-RBA

          It was never seriously advertised but is listed on the California Birding
          Lists Digest site: http://www.sialia.com/s/calists.pl when messages are
          posted. I had a similar sort of vision for a reporting list just on the
          rarest of birds in CA and assumed the CBRC Review List would be a good
          benchmark for species worth reporting and would limit (almost completely)
          the typical commentary found on all our other lists which tend to be
          regional for the most part. It was intended to be a "reporting only" type of
          list in the interest of spreading the word when exceptional birds are found.
          Problem is, I can't do the work myself- it takes everyone's willingness to
          participate. I would, when I had time, scan through all the other state
          lists and post on CBRC birds only. I still feel this is a topic-specific
          type of list that would be of interest to a wide audience and more or less
          mirrors what Doug has proposed with the Poll. I am certainly willing to
          desolve this group if a duplicate is created in some form and becomes more
          beneficial to the birding community than what I have set up.

          The problem as I see it is getting the current membership of CALBIRDS to
          completely change the way the list has evolved. No easy task.

          ______________
          Jamie M. Chavez
          Santa Maria, CA
          sbcobirding