Re:New Poll

  • Ed Stonick
    Message 1 of 5 , May 13, 2007
      Hi Doug!

      Thanks for the poll and asking for our input. Just had a couple of
      additional thoughts since there wasn't a "yes, but" choice for the suggested
      change. I actually lean towards rarities only as far as reporting birds
      seen. However, I would still like to keep CALBIRDS open for discussions
      about other topics (status and distribution, conservation, news items, CBC
      info, RFIs, etc,) as long as they STAY with California issues. But we sure
      could lose trip reports of non-rarities, FOS, personal trip results, etc.

      Regards,

      Ed

      Ed Stonick

      Pasadena, CA

      edstonick@... <mailto:stonicks@...>

    • David Coursey
      Message 2 of 5 , May 13, 2007
        Here¹s what I¹d like see, using a news analogy, since news is what we¹re
        really talking about:

        1. CALBIRDS Hot < This is for CBRC sightings only. The only thing that goes
        to this list are important sightings, location/access, and follow-up. These
        are birds people would drive considerable distances to see. A group of
        moderators (a big group) can repost items here from the Seen list. The idea
        is not to be a clique < have enough moderators that stuff reposts quickly
        but not too many as to keep the noise down. I imagine dozens of moderators.
        2. CALBIRDS Seen < New list for sightings and distribution list for all CA
        ³birds of note² There could be a species list or not for this list because
        an element would include ³unusual for this place² sightings. These are birds
        that people would drive to see, within their local area or region. Anyone
        posts here.
        3. CALBIRD < This is the existing list, for and about CA birds and birders,
        this is where club events, trip lists, general RFI¹s go, as well as all the
        content that also goes to the two ³upper lists.² Anyone posts here.

        Basically, CALBIRDS gets all postings, and you crosspost upstream. The
        top-level list should be able to go to pagers/SMS because the sightings are
        so important. ³Seen² is the list you¹d read at the office, and CALBIRDS is
        allowed to be a tad more chatty.

        Hope this helps.

        David
        Tracy

      • Kris Olson
        Message 3 of 5 , May 13, 2007
          I vote for keeping Cal Birds open. I have seen new birders post there
          recently (not realizing that it's preferable to use one's local list)-- and
          I think it's great to encourage them. People are so easily turned off to
          using lists if they are criticized for their sightings (I realize that what
          is criticism to one is feedback to another) -- I think it's better to have
          more birders using the list than to have fewer good birders. More birders
          lead to better bird conversation.

          As others have suggested, we could meet the needs of the better birders by
          (1) using headings in our posts such as RARE or TRIP REPORT or COUNTY NAME
          -- come up with some conventions that would help people select the messages
          they want. We can also (2) develop a special list for California Rare bird
          sightings. There is one on gmail; I would suggest keeping them all on Yahoo
          group so we have only one place to go to change vacation mails, etc. (3)
          Doug could write a nice welcome message and explain all the local lists one
          could join as the primary reporting mechanism and explain what CAL birds is
          for (what is it for?) All sorts of way to try to solve both sets of needs.

          When one compares CAL Birds to Tweeters (Washington) and Mass Birds, we are
          doing pretty well.

          Kris Olson, Menlo Park CA

          Message 4 of 5 , May 13, 2007
            "Only New State Records/CBRC Review Species and other rarities." The
            last three words in that sentence are.....the ultimate politicians
            loop hole?!

            Was rather surprised at the number of people who want to narrow the
            focus of the list. A more focused list would be pretty neat and I do
            not have a problem with that at all. The only emails would be the
            serious ones. Get a message from that list and BAM you hit the road
            for rarity! Just did a reread of the guidelines on the CALBIRDS home
            page and it seems to be working fine to me. I see the voting is
            currently running more in favor of happy with what it is. Was not
            aware there was a problem till I got home this evening. Heck, I'm
            already on a dozen lists now and my delete button works just fine.
            CALBIRDS has one of the largest member lists of any of the bird lists
            right? Must be a reason for that. Because it is working fine?

            Seems to me a more focused list would be a great NEW list. Might
            even sign up for it myself..or not.

            If CALBIRDS is to become that more focused list though....please go
            ahead and remove me now.