New Poll

  • aguillard2469
    Message 1 of 5 , May 12, 2007
    • Ed Stonick
      Message 2 of 5 , May 13, 2007
        Hi Doug!

        Thanks for the poll and asking for our input. Just had a couple of
        additional thoughts since there wasn't a "yes, but" choice for the suggested
        change. I actually lean towards rarities only as far as reporting birds
        seen. However, I would still like to keep CALBIRDS open for discussions
        about other topics (status and distribution, conservation, news items, CBC
        info, RFIs, etc,) as long as they STAY with California issues. But we sure
        could lose trip reports of non-rarities, FOS, personal trip results, etc.

        Regards,

        Ed

        Ed Stonick

        Pasadena, CA

        edstonick@... <mailto:stonicks@...>

      • David Coursey
        Message 3 of 5 , May 13, 2007
          Here¹s what I¹d like see, using a news analogy, since news is what we¹re
          really talking about:

          1. CALBIRDS Hot < This is for CBRC sightings only. The only thing that goes
          to this list are important sightings, location/access, and follow-up. These
          are birds people would drive considerable distances to see. A group of
          moderators (a big group) can repost items here from the Seen list. The idea
          is not to be a clique < have enough moderators that stuff reposts quickly
          but not too many as to keep the noise down. I imagine dozens of moderators.
          2. CALBIRDS Seen < New list for sightings and distribution list for all CA
          ³birds of note² There could be a species list or not for this list because
          an element would include ³unusual for this place² sightings. These are birds
          that people would drive to see, within their local area or region. Anyone
          posts here.
          3. CALBIRD < This is the existing list, for and about CA birds and birders,
          this is where club events, trip lists, general RFI¹s go, as well as all the
          content that also goes to the two ³upper lists.² Anyone posts here.

          Basically, CALBIRDS gets all postings, and you crosspost upstream. The
          top-level list should be able to go to pagers/SMS because the sightings are
          so important. ³Seen² is the list you¹d read at the office, and CALBIRDS is
          allowed to be a tad more chatty.

          Hope this helps.

          David
          Tracy

        • Kris Olson
          Message 4 of 5 , May 13, 2007
            I vote for keeping Cal Birds open. I have seen new birders post there
            recently (not realizing that it's preferable to use one's local list)-- and
            I think it's great to encourage them. People are so easily turned off to
            using lists if they are criticized for their sightings (I realize that what
            is criticism to one is feedback to another) -- I think it's better to have
            more birders using the list than to have fewer good birders. More birders
            lead to better bird conversation.

            As others have suggested, we could meet the needs of the better birders by
            (1) using headings in our posts such as RARE or TRIP REPORT or COUNTY NAME
            -- come up with some conventions that would help people select the messages
            they want. We can also (2) develop a special list for California Rare bird
            sightings. There is one on gmail; I would suggest keeping them all on Yahoo
            group so we have only one place to go to change vacation mails, etc. (3)
            Doug could write a nice welcome message and explain all the local lists one
            could join as the primary reporting mechanism and explain what CAL birds is
            for (what is it for?) All sorts of way to try to solve both sets of needs.

            When one compares CAL Birds to Tweeters (Washington) and Mass Birds, we are
            doing pretty well.

            Kris Olson, Menlo Park CA

            Message 5 of 5 , May 13, 2007
              "Only New State Records/CBRC Review Species and other rarities." The
              last three words in that sentence are.....the ultimate politicians
              loop hole?!

              Was rather surprised at the number of people who want to narrow the
              focus of the list. A more focused list would be pretty neat and I do
              not have a problem with that at all. The only emails would be the
              serious ones. Get a message from that list and BAM you hit the road
              for rarity! Just did a reread of the guidelines on the CALBIRDS home
              page and it seems to be working fine to me. I see the voting is
              currently running more in favor of happy with what it is. Was not
              aware there was a problem till I got home this evening. Heck, I'm
              already on a dozen lists now and my delete button works just fine.
              CALBIRDS has one of the largest member lists of any of the bird lists
              right? Must be a reason for that. Because it is working fine?

              Seems to me a more focused list would be a great NEW list. Might
              even sign up for it myself..or not.

              If CALBIRDS is to become that more focused list though....please go
              ahead and remove me now.