A Poll about Change

  • Douglas Aguillard
    Message 1 of 4 , May 12 6:07 PM
      To all Calbird members,

      With the proliferation of so many California Regional list now available, covering the entire State. There has been an idea brought forward that CalBirds should run more towards the reporting of important bird sighting reports such as New State records, Species that are on the CBRC Review list, and other Rarities only, rather than the current way, which is the reporting of the more common bird species seen.

      So unless the bird sighting was a new State record, is on The CBRC Review List, or is any other vagrant, then any other sightings could/would/should be reported to the appropriate County list. RFI's and everything else would remain the same on Calbirds.

      How do you folks feel about this, should the change be made to our Guidelines/Rules?

      A New poll has been opened asking for your vote. You will see an E-mail concerning this following this message, and please follow the link to it.

      Thank you,

      Douglas Aguillard
      CalBirds Listowner
      San Diego, CA
      doug@...
      http://sdbirds.basiclink.com

    • Glen Tepke
      Message 2 of 4 , May 13 1:36 PM
        When I returned to California after living for a while in Massachusetts,
        I was struck by how little traffic there is on Calbirds compared to
        Massbird. Of course, that is primarily because most of the traffic is
        on the regional lists, though I suspect heavy-handed moderation
        (something of an oxymoron) of the list is off-putting to some, further
        reducing the number of posts. Regardless of the cause, Calbirds seems
        pretty quiet as far as birding lists go, so proposals to narrow its
        scope or split it into multiple lists strike me as solutions in search
        of a problem.

        Even if you think off-topic posts really are a problem, I doubt
        narrowing the scope would make much difference. If you shorten the list
        of acceptable topics, by definition, more posts will be off-topic. You
        could try to alert members to the purpose of the list by using the
        administrative text that is appended to the bottom of all Yahoo group
        messages, or in monthly administrative messages, but I think many, if
        not most members never read those things. Gentle, friendly suggestions
        from the moderator that certain posts are more appropriate for one of
        the regional lists would be more effective. I suspect that many of the
        people who post local-interest-only trip reports to Calbirds are unaware
        of the existence of their regional list.

        I was also going to point out the existence of the CA-RBA list for those
        interested only in rarities, but Jamie Chavez beat me to it.

        Glen Tepke
        Oakland
        g.tepke (at) comcast (dot) net
        www.pbase.com/gtepke

        Douglas Aguillard wrote:
        > To all Calbird members,
        >
        > With the proliferation of so many California Regional list now
        > available, covering the entire State. There has been an idea brought
        > forward that CalBirds should run more towards the reporting of
        > important bird sighting reports such as New State records, Species
        > that are on the CBRC Review list, and other Rarities only, rather
        > than the current way, which is the reporting of the more common bird
        > species seen.
        >
        > So unless the bird sighting was a new State record, is on The CBRC
        > Review List, or is any other vagrant, then any other sightings
        > could/would/should be reported to the appropriate County list. RFI's
        > and everything else would remain the same on Calbirds.
        >
        > How do you folks feel about this, should the change be made to our
        > Guidelines/Rules?
        >
        > A New poll has been opened asking for your vote. You will see an
        > E-mail concerning this following this message, and please follow the
        > link to it.
        >
        > Thank you,
        >

        > Douglas Aguillard CalBirds Listowner San Diego, CA doug@...
        > http://sdbirds.basiclink.com
      • Paul Keller
        Message 3 of 4 , May 13 5:37 PM
          Whatever the well-meaning moderators of Calbirds decides to do so as to
          please the varied needs of this group, I've decided (unless and until the
          moderators direct me differently) to help my fellow busy Calbirdsers to
          quickly decide whether to delete, skim or read my posts by typing all bird
          names in capital letters and by putting two leading and trailing exclamation
          points on each CBRC Review Species. For example, what I thought was a
          !!COMMON ROSE-FINCH!! turned out to be a HOUSE FINCH.
          Moreover, if and when I ever post message of several paragraphs, I've
          decided to follow the lead of real ornithologists writing in real journals
          by introducing my post with an abstract that tersely outlines what follows.

          --
          Paul Keller, SBA Vandenberg Village
        • Chuck & Lillian
          Message 4 of 4 , May 13 7:01 PM
            Two More Cents (four cents, after adjusting for inflation):

            1). I like seeing all the miscellaneous stuff on Calbirds that it now has. I hope it doesn't change.
            2). If I don't want to read it, for whatever reason, I skip it. It's really quite easy.
            3). I often like hearing about other parts of our large state. If this stuff was only on the county chats, I'd never get a chance to see it.
            4). I haven't seen every possible bird in California yet. I probably never will. So I'm interested in all sorts of uncommon birds, in all sorts of locations, not just CBRC birds or stuff in Los Angeles County.

            Chuck Almdale
            Santa Monica, CA