Hairy Woodpeckers nested in San Joaquin Valley, CA, April/May 2007- PHOTOS

  • kbgoldennugget2@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , May 6, 2007
      We are happy to report that a pair of Hairy Woodpeckers have successfully
      nested in the San Joaquin Valley in Bakersfield, California. The nestlings
      fledged in the months of April and May 2007. Photos have been placed into the
      CALBIRDS photo section in the album labeled Birds.

      On 3/6/07, we reported on kerncobirding that while birding with
      Bakersfield's Tuesday Morning Birding Group, we observed a female Hairy Woodpecker
      excavating a nest hole in a snag just west of Truxtun Lake. Truxtun Lake is
      located along the Kern River Parkway near Truxtun Avenue in Bakersfield.

      On 4/19/07, Ken took a photo of the adult male Hairy Woodpecker feeding
      a hatchling.

      On Tuesday morning, 5/1/07, we saw a Hairy Woodpecker nestling in the
      nest hole. We have not seen a nestling in the nest hole since this date.

      On Wednesday morning, 5/2/07, we saw the adult male Hairy Woodpecker
      with a juvenile Hairy Woodpecker foraging in a tree about 30 yards from the
      nest hole. This juvenile appeared to be older than the nestling we saw in the
      nest hole on 5/1/07.

      To the best of our knowledge, the last nestling fledged on either the
      afternoon of 5/2/07 or the morning of 5/3/07.

      We have placed four photos into the CALBIRDS photo section in the album
      labeled Birds which shows the following: the location of the nest, the nest
      being excavated on 3/6/07, a hatchling being fed on 4/19/07, and a nestling
      looking out of the nest hole on 4/28/07.

      In the middle of the location photo taken on 3/16/07, the lone, burnt
      snag, directly behind the hedges, is where the nest hole was excavated.

      Ken and Brenda
      Kyle
      Bakersfield