Domoic Acid Symptoms in Monterey Co. Brandt's Cormorant 2 May 2007

  • Brian Sullivan
    Message 1 of 1 , May 2 7:02 PM
      Birders

      I don't know how to get this information to those who'd like to know so I
      thought I'd post it here. Please forward to anyone interested in this. This
      evening we had an observation of a Brandt's Cormorant that was clearly
      showing the symptoms of Domoic Acid poisoning. We were at Pt. Pinos when
      this bird, an immature, started to convulse while flying by, and then
      crashed to the ground on the PG Golf Course adjacent to the Point. The bird
      then shook its head vigorously as if it had swallowed something agitating,
      and continued to walk in circles, all the while stumbling and shaking its
      head. I haven't yet heard of any confirmed cases in Monterey Co. so I
      thought I'd spread the word. Also seems like large numbers of Brown
      Pelicans are arriving in the bay now along with Heermann's Gulls. Seems a
      bit early for such large numbers, perhaps related to this acid event.

      Thanks

      --
      Brian L. Sullivan
      eBird Project Leader