Where the tri-colored Blackbirds are!

  • betty burridge
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 28, 2007
      Please excuse the cross-post, but it took a village to get the job done!

      First of all, thanks to everyone who responded so generously to my requests (on behalf of a Florida visitor) for locations for tri-colored blackbirds.

      He found a flock of over 100 yesterday and is ecstatic. (His whole trip from Florida was predicated on finding the bird he had wanted to see for 60 years.)

      The location was 1/4 miles south of the intersection of Del Puerto Canyon Rd.and San Antonio Valley Rd., in Santa Clara County. (San Antonio Valley Rd. is the extension of Mines Rd., which runs south out of Livermore, which is in Alameda County.)

      Other locations for recent sightings as recommended by birders were:

      A breeding colony of tri-coloreds in cattails .5 - 1 mile east of the intersection mentioned above (Del Puerto Canyon Rd. and San Antonio valley Rd.)

      In mixed blackbird flocks near the south end of the CA DF&G Yolo Bypass Wildlife Management Area. (off of I-80, east of Davis in Yolo Co,)

      NE of Yuba City (Yuba Co.) at the intersection of Woodruff and Matthews Lanes.

      Potter Valley (NE of Ukiah), Mendocino Co., at the end of Burris Lane.

      Pt. Reyes, Marin Co.. on Pierce Point Rd. going toward Tomales Point.

      California birders arose to the occasion and showed how collegial and generous they are with their knowledge and experience. We can't thank you enough.

      Betty Burridge, Santa Rosa