RE: Northern Cardinals extirpated?

  • John Green
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 18, 2007
      Calbirders,

      About two weeks ago I posted regarding the status of Northern Cardinals on
      the Colorado River (also posted to inlandcountybirds). Responses to those
      posts were few, but all those reporting who had looked for cardinals at
      Vidal Wash (about 20 visits reported to me) have failed to find them since
      their last known date of occurrence (8 May 2001). Prior to that, RBA
      reports on the internet show that cardinals were found every year at Vidal
      Wash, back to 1995. I believe that they were found there back years further
      than that, but do not have ready access to an archive that I could search
      (such as North American Birds and its predecessors).

      There were also no responses indicating that cardinals had been found
      anywhere else on the river. Other historic locations include the Earp area
      (including Big River and Parker Dam) and in the vicinity of Laguna Dam in
      Imperial County. So, the only cardinals currently known by me to have been
      found along the river since 2001 have been in the Blythe area:

      .5 June 2005 (female) reported by Roger Higson at that time.
      .6-8 June 2006 (male) reported by Roger Higson at that time and also seen by
      others.
      .April 2006 (male) reported by Joe Fuhrman in response to my post (seen at
      Mayflower Park).

      Of course this does not mean that cardinals really are extirpated along the
      river. The area is not well birded. Several birders have emphasized the
      importance of dawn/early morning visits as well. By publicizing the recent
      dearth of records, I hope to inspire some of you to scour the river in the
      coming season and years. Good luck!

      John Green
      Riverside, CA