southern Calif hummingbirds and others

  • tertial
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 14, 2007
      This is just a trip report with birds of primarily local interest for
      these counties: LA, Ventura, Santa Barbara, SLO, and Fresno.

      LA:
      Visited my parents in Hidden Hills, west end of the San Fernando
      Valley. An absolutely amazing hummingbird spectacle ensued when I
      filled her three feeders (in keeping with other reports on the LA and
      Santa Barbara listservs). On Thurs, 4/12 and Fri, 4/13, I had six
      species at the feeders, including:
      ANNA'S and ALLEN'S - resident
      BLACK-CHINNED - several
      RUFOUS - many
      CALLIOPE - at least 2 males and 2 females, probably more
      COSTA'S - one female (several times side by side with female Black-
      ch.)
      Also in the neigborhood:
      the usual calling W SCREECH-OWL, which I think benefit from the
      cavities in the Chinese pepper trees.
      1 RED-WHISKERED BULBUL, calling from treetops as it passed thru the
      neigborhood-- never seen one there before; it didn't stay.
      PHAINOPEPLA and PAC-SLOPE FLY- new for the 'hood.
      In some past years, Lawrence's Goldfinches had nested in the 'hood;
      none seemed to be around this year. BAND-TAILED PIGEONS are nesting
      again-- and I saw them in Woodland Hills as well.

      Ventura:
      A brief stop at Sycamore Cyn revealed the BLACK-HOODED PARAKEETS (aka
      Nanday Conures) are as thick as ever.

      Santa Barbara Co, Refugio State Beach:
      As reported earlier, hundreds of BONAPARTE'S GULLS on 4/13 and the
      pair of CINNAMON TEAL in the creek. The Western Grebe in the creek
      is oiled, as was one offshore, probably from natural seep tar
      patties, as it seems very thick and dark. The pond at the campground
      also held SORA, SPOTTED SANDPIPER, and 5 species of egrets/herons.

      A ROYAL TERN was on the beach on 4/14. That morning, LOONS were
      migrating north offshore at a rate of almost 1,000/minute for at
      least an hour.

      The swallow flock included two VAUX'S SWIFTS on 4/13, and piqued the
      interest of a MERLIN. That evening, over 20 CASSIN'S KINGBIRDS came
      in to roost in a single tree.

      On 4/14, early am, I walked a mile up the canyon and found lots of
      migrants:
      RUFOUS HUMMERS several
      ASH-THR FLYCATCHER 1
      WARBLING VIREO 1
      MACGILLIVRAY'S WARBLER 1
      WILSON'S WARBLER many
      LAZULI BUNTING 1
      BLACK-HEADED GROSBEAK several
      PURPLE FINCH 2

      SLO:
      LAWRENCE'S GOLDFINCHES were present at the rest stop on Hwy 46 near
      Shandon. I've seen them here in past years.

      Fresno:
      EURASIAN COLLARED-DOVES were present at Harris Ranch. Am I really
      the first to notice them here?

      good birding,

      Steve Hampton
      Davis, CA