Re: [LACoBirds] Greater Pewee - Griffith Park

  • Steve Sosensky
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 7, 2007
      Hi All

      I refound the Greater Pewee this morning at the location mentioned in
      side of the ravine and was easily viewed by going through the hole in
      the fence uphill from the metal gate and following the dirt road up
      the hill. The bird was originally making the pip note, and gave a few
      "Maria" calls as well. It was a bit too far away for my mere 714mm of
      reach, but Oscar Johnson got some nice digiscoped shots. Others there
      during my stay from 7:45 until 8:30 were Dan Snyder, John Leonard,
      Matt Brady, and others whose names I did not get.

      For those who do not know this area, it can be reached from I-5 by
      exiting at Los Feliz, and going west. Turn right at the first light
      west of the freeway onto Crystal Springs. Go past the turnoff for the
      Merry-go-round parking lot to the next stop sign, and turn left onto
      Griffith Park Drive. You can follow Dan Cooper's directions from there.

      Off to the south of the ravine near some cages is a bottlebrush tree
      that is attracting warblers and hummingbirds. There this morning were
      Allen's, Black-chinned, Calliope, and Costa's Hummingbirds,
      Orange-crowned Warbler, and Lazuli Bunting.

      At 10:00 PM 2007-04-06, wurstertom wrote:
      >Greater Pewee near the Old Zoo Picnic Area in
      >Griffith Park. We easily found the bird following directions in Dan
      >Cooper's original post. Between 4:45 and 6:40 PM, it stayed within 30
      >meters either side of the metal pipe gate (white with red stripes) that
      >blocks the paved road into the canyon from the parking lot.

      Good birding,

      Steve Sosensky,
      SoCA Bird Guides <steve at sosensky.com> www.sosensky.com/guides
      Nature Photos www.sosensky.com/nature_photos.htm
      Optics4Birding <steve at optics4birding.com> www.optics4birding.com
      Aliso Viejo, CA 92656 949-269-2161 33.56485 N, 117.72205 W