Greater Pewee, Griffith Park (Los Angeles)

  • Daniel S. Cooper
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 6, 2007
      Hi,

      I just found a calling Greater Pewee adjacent to the "Old Zoo Site" on the eastern side of
      Griffith Park in Los Angeles. This is the same area where one was present (and
      photographed) last April (17 Apr. 2006).

      The bird is using an east-flowing drainage along the northern edge of the old zoo. Park in
      the paved lot off Griffith Park Dr. just uphill of a multi-colored bathroom, and walk up the
      paved fireroad that flanks the drainage to a white metal gate blocking the road. Continue
      through the gate about 30 yards, and listen for the call. The bird was using sycamores and
      eucalyptus snags in this area.

      As for the call, maybe it was just my ear, but it sounded like a distant Western Bluebird
      "pew" call, but sharper. I identified this bird by its large size, washed-out brownish chest
      and breast, large bill with a bright orange mandible, and spiky crest. It had faint tan
      wingbars (more like edging), and lacked the white sides/back tufts of an Olive-sided.

      [By the way, I'm working on a bird list for Griffith Park so feel free to send me your
      sightings/lists if you go to look for this bird.]

      Dan Cooper
      Cooper Ecological Monitoring, Inc.
      Pasadena
      www.cooperecological.com