Northern California Trip

  • vibirder
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 3, 2007
      Greetings fellow birders,

      I am planning a trip to Northern California (as far south as perhaps
      Anderson, and then over to Eureka before returning North along the
      coast) and I have managed to negotiate 3-4 days of birding in the area.

      I was hoping that perhaps someone could advise on locations that would
      be worth prioritizing in that limited amount of time, and help to find
      a list of target species (my first trip to California, and actually my
      first birding trip outside the confines of British Columbia, so it is
      a long one).

      Species are:

      Clarks Grebe
      Eared Grebe
      White Pelican
      Brown Pelican
      Snowy Plover
      American Avocet
      Black-necked Stilt
      Sage Grouse
      Turkey
      Mountain Quail
      Great Egret
      Snowy Egret
      White-tailed Kite
      Red-shouldered Hawk
      Moorhen
      Long-billed Curlew
      Forster's Tern
      Roadrunner
      Burrowing Owl
      Black-chinned Hummingbird
      Acorn Woodpecker
      White-headed Woodpecker
      Black Phoebe
      Ash-throated Flycatcher
      Western Scrub-Jay
      Yellow-billed Magpie
      Oak Titmouse
      Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher
      Wrentit
      California Thrasher
      Hermit Warbler
      Yellow-breasted Chat
      Green-tailed Towhee
      California Towhee
      Lark, Black-throated, Sage, Brewer's, and Grasshopper Sparrow
      Tri-coloured Blackbird
      Great-tailed Grackle
      Hooded Oriole
      Cassin's Finch
      Lesser Goldfinch

      As well as any rarities that might be poking around (now that I've
      listed every second bird known to occur in California). I realize
      that this is quite an (over)ambitious list, but any help that anyone
      could provide in locating some of these species would be greatly
      appreciated.

      Thank you in Advance,

      Jeremy Kimm
      Victoria, BC, Canada