Re: blackburnian warbler

  • Jim Lomax
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 2, 2007
      I forward this message on behalf of myself.

      Condescending would be to not say anything and let Leigh and other
      unknowing birders believe she is right thus furthering misleading
      information and inaccuracy to contribute to the overload of bad
      information already being dispensed. A private message serves only
      one. A public message serves to educate everyone and we all get it. I
      have been well publicly educated by the best as many of you know. I
      learned and respect my teachers. We all could do just a little more
      reading and studying to check up on ourselves before we run to the
      nearest computer to let the world know of our great finds, and not
      worry about our little egos. Leigh didn't seem to take it personally,
      but, funny, others did. Guy's point was not to humiliate one but to
      educate us all. I think Guy was being kind and gentle. And...
      obviously, his message wasn't ignored.

      And Leigh, ma'am, this message is not personal.

      Jim Lomax
      Solitary Birder
      from No Particular Place (but sometimes Concord)

      On Apr 2, 2007, at 7:09 AM, Shelly wrote:

> [...]
      > irrelevant.
      > Birds, of course, do end up in odd places at times (e.g., the smew
      > near
      > Sonora), and therefore, what I see here is a blind and extremely naïve
      > indictment of Ms. Bartoo and her identification because it is not
      > in line
      > with the gospel according to Sibley, National Geographic, Kaufman,
      > Peterson,
      > or McCaskie.
      >
      > Jay Bogiatto
      > Department of Biology
      > CSU, Chico
      > rbogiatto@...
      >
      > --- In CALBIRDS@yahoogroups.com, "Guy McCaskie" <guymcc@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Leigh,
      > >
      > > I assume you are a paid biologist since you are surveying Swainson's
      > Hawks. As such, you should have some basic knowledge as to the
      > status and
      > seasonal distribution of the birds in California, or at a minimum,
      > in the Central
      > Valley. A quick look at any basic field guides such as the "National
      > Geographic Field Guide to the Birds of North America" clearly shows
      > that the
      > Blackburnian Warbler normally occurs as a summer visitors to the
      > northeastern United States and southeastern Canada, and the "Sibley
      > Guide
      > to Birds" even goes as far as showing the species is rare
      > throughout the
      > western half of North America. The more specialized Peterson Field
      > Guide
      > "Warblers" by Jon Dunn and Kimball Garrett provides much more
      > information,
      > including the fact that the Blackburnian Warbler "winters mainly in
      > the Andes
      > of South America from Venezuela and Columbia south through Ecuador and
      > Peru" with "small numbers wintering in s. Central America in Costa
      > Rica and
      > Panama". In addition, this specialized guide provides the fact that
      > the
      > Blackburnian Warbler is "a classic trans-Gulf migrant" with "spring
      > migration
      > beginning in early April ...". In California the Blackburnian
      > Warbler is
      > considered a casual vagrant in spring, with all records falling
      > between 26 May
      > and 9 July, peaking in the first half of June. There are eight well
      > documented
      > records of single birds remaining for extended periods of time in
      > winter, but
      > these were all along the coast and considered exceptional.
      > >
      > > With the above information, you should conclude that a Blackburnian
      > Warbler anywhere in North America in March is most unlikely, and
      > that one in
      > the Central Valley of California at this same time of the year is
      > even more
      > unlikely. I recommend you reconsider what you saw.

      Jim Lomax
      Solitary Birder
      from No Particular Place

      "Well don't you know about the bird?
      Well, everybody knows that the bird is the word!
      A-well-a bird, bird, b-bird's the word!"

      The Trashmen

    • James P. Smith
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 11, 2011
        First winter blackburnian warbler @ islay creek, Montana de pro state park @ 16: 30hrs on 09/10/11. With wilsons, townsends and of warblers.

        Best birding

        James & the birdfinders group.
      • Michael Feighner
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 11, 2011
          This is actually Montana de Oro State Park near Moro Bay in San Luis Obispo
          County for those not familiar:

          http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=592

          --
          Michael Feighner
          Livermore, CA, Alameda County

        • James P. Smith
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 11, 2011
            Apologies. That should be Montana de pro state park, san Louis obispo co.

            We also got some images of the bird.

            Jps