Get the Lead Out: Potential Good News for Condors

  • debbie viess
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 2, 2007
      A fine article in the San Jose Mercury News recently,
      on condors and lead poisoning. Here's an excerpt:

      "Last month, the California Department of Fish and
      Game staff recommended that hunting with lead bullets
      be banned everywhere in the California condor range, a
      vast area of about 20 counties that extends from the
      Bay Area to Los Angeles and takes in parts of the
      Tehachapi Mountains.

      The department's recommendation to the California Fish
      and Game Commission was cheered by environmental
      groups, which have been seeking such a ban for years
      but were rejected by the department and the commission
      in 2005.

      The commission, a five-member body appointed by the
      governor, will hear public testimony on the plan at
      its April 13 meeting in Bodega Bay. It is expected to
      vote in May or June."

      For the full article, follow this link:

      http://www.mercurynews.com/search/ci_5537308

      Debbie Viess
      Oakland, CA
    • ronbatie
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 2, 2007
        Debbie,

        Thanks for posting this article. I'm not sure if you looked at the
        comments, but they are running about 10-0 death to condors and
        politically motivated junk science - downright scary. In other words,
        it is going to be a serious uphill battle to get lead bullets
        banned...at least, if the unwashed public has anything to say about it.

        Ron Batie
        Culver City, CA
        (formerly of SJ and former Mercury News reader)