Re: [CALBIRDS] Swainson's Hawks

  • Nick & Mary Freeman
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 21 11:59 PM
      Hi Paul

      I lead a trip to the Owens Valley in the Eastern Sierras every April
      where in the Chalfant Valley, we visit a few of the ranches with ag
      fields. There have been a few times where we've encountered over two
      dozen Swainson's Hawks.

      In April of 2007 at this location, we encountered a Swainson's in a
      flight display over another Swainson's perched on a telephone pole.
      We noticed the displaying bird had a 5" antenna sticking out from its
      back. I contacted Pete Bloom and I received a discussion by Dick
      Anderson as follows:

      During the last several years the CDFG has attached satellite
      transmitters to about 10 SWHAs in the Owen's Valley. The purpose was
      to understand late summer, early spring and migrational movements.
      This has been done in the Central Valley of CA also. The findings are
      that the Owen's Valley SWHAs migrate to Argentina with most of the
      North American SWHAs, but the majority of the Central Valley SWHAs
      migrate to Mexico for the winter. There are currently two active
      transmitters still on SWHAs in the Owen's Valley. You must have seen
      one of them.

      I thought I'd add to your discussion of your previous posting
      touching on the subject of telemetry data. I hope to encounter
      another hawk with an antenna pack on its back this coming April.
      Also, yesterday I received an email from a birder in Santa Clarita
      Valley where she had 20 Swainson's Hawks land on her property. Nick
      and I saw about 20 hawks kettling above East Los Angeles one February
      day 11 years ago. And finally, I recall Dustin Alcala some years
      back found a flock that roosted overnight at Hansen Dam which is
      located in the San Fernando Valley.

      Phenomenal reports from Anza Borrego!

      Mary Freeman
      Glendale, CA

    • The Jorgensens
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 9, 2007
        A flock of approximately 100 SWAINSON'S HAWKS were seen at 5:50 pm April 8 in Diamond Bar By Grace Clark. At that hour and flying so low, they were likely coming into an overnight roost. The location is approximately 2 miles north of the intersection of Grand Ave and the 57 freeway, just NW of the 57. Grace thought they might be seeking trees just north of the residential area.

        Please email me if you have any related sightings, such as possible further information about this or any roost site, or reports of other large flocks anywhere in California, not previously reported on Calbirds.

        Our total to date for Swainson's passing thru Borrego Springs Ca. this Spring is 2386.

        Paul Jorgensen
        Borrego Springs Ca 92004

      • sam johnson
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 9, 2007
          Thanks to Al Knoll for his post. At 9:00 A.M. this morning there were still appx 40
          Swainson's still in the field on Chiles Rd., quite a sight. By 11:30 A.M. a number of them
          had moved over to the Vic Fazio Wildlife area which is just East of the first location.
          Sam Johnson