Re: [CALBIRDS] Masked Booby

  • John Martin
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 5, 2002
      Bob, your rant is entirely appropriate. Whether birders rely on the code of
      ethics of a birding organization, or their own common sense and
      consideration for others, it's important 1) not to disturb the bird and
      cause it to expend more precious energy than it would otherwise expend, and
      2) not to scare it away and cause a fellow birder, who drove from Temecula
      or Sacramento or Portland and only has 2 hours to look for the bird, to miss
      it. Dang, I encountered the same problem as birders were swarming around
      the Nutting's Flycatcher in Orange County. There are always a few foul
      balls willing to risk someone else's lifer so that they might get another
      photo from ridiculously close. I saw the Booby the evening of New Year's
      Day, and got a great look from well back on the hill, where I'm confident I
      wasn't disturbing ANY birds, incuding the booby. Some boor, whom I had let
      use my scope to look at the bird from a reasonable distance, apparently
      thought that wasn't good enough and clambered down onto the rocks until he
      was about 10 feet from the bird. While it didn't fly immediately, it was
      indeed disturbed, as it held it's head high, switching its head back and
      forth. It had previously been mostly resting with its head tucked, but
      looking out several times in the half-hour that we watched, offering fine
      views of its dark mask and greenish-yellow bill. How much did this fellow's
      antics contribute to the bird's discontent? How much shorter a period of
      time will it remain in La Jolla because some people insist on walking right
      up to it? By the way, if any birders cause a Brown Pelican any apprehension
      as they scale the rocks in quest of the booby, that constitutes harassment,
      and those birders are in violation of the Endangered Species Act. So
      people, have some respect for the birds, and your fellow birders, and watch
      the bird from a reasonable distance.

      John Martin

      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 12, 2002
        I just read, with great disappointment, of the possible death of the
        Masked Booby. I sincerely hope that is not the case. I was fortunate to be
        there on New Years day when it made a truly grand entry. Another birder,
        who was there that day, wrote that he had returned to see it about a week
        later. He was amazed to see a number of birders standing ON the spot where
        the Booby had first landed that day. Having seen that spot myself, I could
        not imagine people being out there. I have not been back to the site
        since. Am I wrong? Are those cliffs an area that is open and accessible
        to the public? Knowing that there are dozens of possible reasons that the
        Masked Booby was perched " where the Booby was very low on the cliffs, near
        the water, and a large wave swept the booby into a crevice"

        The question must be asked, were birders occupying it's preferred perches?

        (!__!)
        (0V0) HAPPY BIRDING
        {}~~{} BOB MILLER
        =='''='''==
        Imperial, CA
        SouthWest Birders
        760.355.1008
        http://www.southwestbirders.com
        bob.miller@...
      • Ed Stonick
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 13, 2002
          I believe it may have been a factor. We saw the Booby last Sunday morning,
          and there was at least one photographer who walked out on the rock, right
          past the warning signs. Ironically, she was in a position about 10-15 from
          the bird but unable to see it because it was over a short rise. The spot
          where the bird actually was, however, was too high to be affected by waves.
          Another observer had been there a few days earlier when someone walked out
          to get a closer look at the bird and wound up flushing it.

          Regards,
          Ed

          stonicks@...

        • MiriamEagl@aol.com
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 13, 2002
            Hi, Bob,

            In a message dated 01/12/02 10:28:55 PM Pacific Standard Time,
            bob.miller@... writes:

            > Are those cliffs an area that is open and accessible
            > to the public?

            No: there are signs clearing marking the area as "closed" (this is just
            beyond the observation deck. I suppose it's "legal" to poke around the rocks
            immediately surrounding the deck (I did, anyway, I admit), but the signs
            beyond that are clear.

            Mary Beth Stowe
            San Diego, CA
            MiriamEagl@...

          • mhast27
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 13, 2002
              From what we have been told today ...The Masked Booby has NOT been seen the last three days Marjorie and Don

              Marjorie Hastings
              Spring Valley,CA

              "To love what you do
              and feel that it matters....
              how could anything
              be more fun?"

            • topazlisa
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 18, 2002
                This issue has not been addressed and very well should be. A
                bird, just because it was in a place not normally seen, was hounded
                to injury and probable death. This was done, according to the posts,
                not just by new birders "who didn't know better" but by "dedicated
                birders". With the pictures to prove it.
                In good conscience I feel as if I have to unsubscribe to this
                and the other bird lists I am on. If I'm lucky enough to find a real
                rarity, I will watch it and then quietly walk away telling no one but
                my life list and my husband. I know many will not agree with me but
                I'll sleep better knowing I am not the cause of some bird's death.
                Many people speak of morals, ethics and responsibility I believe
                there are many people who need to re-examine their values.

                Lisa Trueman
              • COBB_ROGER
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 18, 2002
                  A Masked Booby is currently at the Wetlands and Wildlife Center of
                  Huntington Beach. "Found injured in Corona del Mar with a fish hook in it's
                  stomach". See story at www.latimes.com/tcn/pilot/.
                  Pretty likely the very same bird.

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 18, 2002
                    I have kept rather quiet on this issue, but finally I will address it. The
                    La Jolla Booby was NOT KILLED BY THE PHOTOGRAPHERS. If it is indeed DEAD!
                    (We don't know this to be true, and probably never will). There were
                    unusually high waves that entire week. The bird was swept into the rock
                    crevices along the cliffs at least twice during that week. If it was
                    killed, then it was Mother Nature that did it. The bird was photographed at
                    close ranges by photographers, but never appeared to be stressed by them.
                    The entire name of "Booby" came from the sailors who observed that the
                    birds were not afraid of humans, and would allow close approached.

                    IMHO, the bird was more stressed by the Western Gulls, than by any human.
                    Yes, I heard that there was a few people who got within a few feet of the
                    bird, and yes I would say,that is too close, but most of the photographers
                    stayed back at least 30 feet or more. I am sick and tire of hearing about
                    morals and ethics. How many of you go to your local clubs and enjoy the
                    slide shows, or the Nature Shows on television, or even the photographic
                    field guides? How do you think they get those fantastic shots? From a mile
                    away? NOT!!!

                    I have seen more birders trespass on lands, that are legally posted with
                    "No Trespassing" signs, and have even heard about birds being killed by
                    non-photographic birders. I have never heard of a photographer killing a
                    bird. The "Non-legal" signs at La Jolla Cove are meant to protect the City
                    of San Diego from the idiots who jump off the cliffs and into the ocean,
                    not so that people can not enjoy the view. the wooden boardwalk along that
                    cliff has a very large opening right onto the area in question, so that
                    people can go onto the cliffs. I have seen Professional Ornithologist kill
                    birds under the pretense of scientific study, when it was more of the
                    keeping the "Baseball-card type" of collecting. I see hunters allowed on
                    Refuges and Sanctuaries to kill, but again to date, have I ever seen a
                    photographers kill a bird.

                    Learn the facts, not everything you read is true.

                    Doug Aguillard
                    San Diego, CA
                    doug@...

                    At 10:03 PM 1/18/2002 +0000, topazlisa wrote:
                    >This issue has not been addressed and very well should be. A bird, just
                    >because it was in a place not normally seen, was hounded
                    >to injury and probable death. This was done, according to the posts, not
                    >just by new birders "who didn't know better" but by "dedicated
                    >birders". With the pictures to prove it.
                  • Butch Carter
                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 18, 2011
                      Edited by moderator for spelling:
                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 19, 2011
                        Hello

                          Was the Masked Booby seen today (Monday)??

                             Thank You
                             Butch Carter
                             Santa Ysabel

                      • Christopher Taylor
                        Message 11 of 16 , Dec 19, 2011
                          Hi Butch, yes it has. There have been posts on OrangeCountyBirding but
                          people have neglected to CC Calbirds. You can search the message boards
                          of OC Birding here:

                          http://www.calbirds.com/?board=orangecountybirding&text=Masked%20Booby

                          --
                          Christopher Taylor
                          Marina del Rey, CA

                            Was the Masked Booby seen today (Monday)??

                               Thank You
                               Butch Carter
                               Santa Ysabel

                          Yahoo! Groups Links
                        • Michelle Townsley
                          Message 12 of 16 , Dec 20, 2011
                            If you had been at Dana Point Harbor this morning at 7:30 am you would have witnessed my dance of joy as I scoped the Masked Booby! I was looking at the east end of the breakwater from the loop parking lot. If you can see the Fish & Game vessel Thresher, you are in the right place.

                            Michelle Townsley
                            Ecstatic Orange County born, Ventura County resident

                            Sent from my iPhone