Mongolian/Vega Gull?

  • wagtail042000
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 10, 2007
      Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. We all know
      immature gulls are one of the toughest ids in birding.The idea that
      because someone has a "reputation" as an "elite" birder means that
      thorough documentation is not necessary is contrary to the scientific
      method(see the current article re: data quality at ebird).How about a
      hybrid California and Thayer's Gull or Herring Gull? The pink legs
      point to something other than California, but other than the wrong leg
      color the bird sure looks like the 1st winter California Gull in my
      copy of Harrison's "Sea Birds"(1983).Its too bad immature gulls aren't
      as easy to id as Smews! Craig Miller, Sutter Creek,Ca.