Pictures of Mongolian/Vega Gull

  • mr_storey
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 10, 2007
      Hi All,

      You can find pictures of the possible Mongolian Gull in Petaluma, CA,
      posted on my website at http://ronstorey.com/Lucchesi/index.html

      I sincerely believe this Gull is in a fact one of the two species that
      it has been identified as, as the two people whom have identified the
      Gull are a very reliable resource and much respected amongst the
      birding communities of North America.

      It seems to me that we should not question whether it is a hybrid of
      two North American Gulls, but whether it is a Vega Gull or a Mongolian
      Gull. I would think that the North American bird experts would
      consider the possibility. - Okay, I know that I put too much weight on
      the expert opinion, but this Gull looks too much like that of the
      Mongolian gull that I have found on the Internet to be a "hybrid".

      Disclaimer: I do not keep a literal life list, so this bird is not
      important to my adding a species to my life list. I am interested in
      learning about identifying species and hybrids.

      Ron Storey
      Petaluma, CA
    • Alvaro Jaramillo
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 10, 2007
        Ron

        Unfortunately all is fair in war and gulls! One really has to consider
        all options, even hybrids. Also with regards to Vega Gulls (which I firmly
        believe are annual in our state) and Mongolian Gull we do need to have
        classic, or nearly classic individuals to convince skeptics. Eventually
        these will be CBRC review species, and when that happens there will be
        points which will kill some vegas that have been reported, including tails
        that are too dark.

        Thanks for posting these photos, I saw the originals from Brian Sullivan and
        asked if there were any spread tail shots. The spread tail shots are
        interesting, and they do not look good for Mongolian which should have a
        real narrow tail band (like a young Great Black-backed). It should also be
        neat, and sometimes showing narrow bands towards the base, the tail of this
        bird looks to have extensive dark and is messy. There are other oddities
        about this bird, including the "decomposed" look to the pattern of the
        tertials, and I think central tail feathers although this is difficult to
        assess from the photos. This is more akin to what you see on second cycle
        gulls, not first cycle gulls. When it does show up on first cycle birds (in
        my experience) it suggests a white-winged gull hybrid. The same goes for
        marbling in the inner primaries, which I don't think this bird has, but the
        right angle is not there to make sure. The shape of the primary tips is sort
        of intermediate between first and second cycle, although in the spread wing
        shots it shows real rounded primary tips (suggesting that this bird may be
        in the second cycle). A second cycle bird would explain the decomposed
        pattern on tertials and greater coverts, as well as the tail
        pattern.although that would not necessarily mean it is a Mongolian Gull. If
        a first cycle bird, the age of the upperpart (mantle, scapulars) and covert
        feathers seems to be about the same age, in other words it does not look
        like the bird has obviously newer upperparts which a Mongolian should have
        (replaces juvenile upperparts earlier than Vega, and often has an even and
        different look to the upperparts compared to the coverts). Although the
        strong white background color of Mongolian Gull feathers makes
        differentiating new and older feathers sometimes difficult. Putting it all
        together, I think is likely that this is a first cycle bird (White winged
        gulls, and their hybrids are often harder to age than dark gulls by the
        way), and if this is the case the pattern on the tail and tertials, as well
        as the messy looking pattern on wings suggests to me that this is a
        white-winged hybrid rather than a Mongolian Gull. I could be entirely wrong,
        and I am sure a lot of folks will disagree with this assessment, that's
        cool. I just wanted to send in my 2 cents. Photos of this bird should be
        sent to Asian gull experts, that is for sure!

        Vega vs. Mongolian: The bottom bird in the set below (the 2003 bird) I
        thought at the time could be pale enough to be a Mongolian Gull, but
        Japanese and Korean experts quickly confirmed that Mongolian is a much paler
        bird than this, and that this Half Moon Bay bird was clearly in the Vega
        Camp.

        http://www.birdsofchile.com/vega.htm

        For an excellent review of the identification of the "Herring Gull Complex"
        in Asia, do read this article:

        http://www.birdskorea.org/lwhgmon.asp

        good gulling

        Al

        Alvaro Jaramillo

        chucao@...

        Half Moon Bay, California

        Field Guides - Birding Tours Worldwide

        www.fieldguides.com

        _____

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 12, 2007
          I've posted some photos of this very interesting bird here:

          http://www.ericwpreston.com/VegaGull_1.html

          Peace,
          Eric Preston
          San Francisco, CA