RE: [CALBIRDS] Possible Mongolian Gull (Larus mongolicus) in Petaluma 8-9 March

  • Raul Roa
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 10 11:04 AM
      Just a thought on this one... Could it possibly be a cross between a
      Glaucus-winged and Glaucus gull???

      Regards,

      Raul Roa
      Whittier, CA

      Raul Roa
      Staff Photographer, SGVN
      1210 N. Azusa Cny. Rd., W. Covina, CA. 91790
      Office: 626.962.8811 ext: 2910 & 2238 cell: 626.736.5376
      LAT:33.99641 N - LON:118.05906 W - 365 ft. elevation
      SoCal FRS Channel 11 subcode 22
    • Thomas Miko
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 13 11:25 PM
        2 comments:

        1) When you see mongolicus and vega in the field i.e. in ASia, you slap your forhead, and exclaim, "Man, they're obvious!" In other words, if you're looking at a gull here that just strikes you as being so different from smithonianus, et al, run with it.

        2) The Chinese (and who else?) consider what we call races of Herring Gull to be several species. They called one Mongolian Gull. I think the BRits have joined in on Armenian Gull. That's off the top of my head, without pulling the Chinese book off the shelf...

        Tom

        >From: Brian Sullivan <heraldpetrel@...>
        >Date: 2007/03/10 Sat AM 10:57:09 CST
        >To: CALBIRDS <CALBIRDS@yahoogroups.com>
        >Subject: [CALBIRDS] Possible Mongolian Gull (Larus mongolicus) in Petaluma 8-9 March

        >Birders
        >
        >While visiting PRBO on Thursday Ken Rosenberg and I found an interesting
        >first-cycle gull at Lucchesi Park in Petaluma. The birds shows characters
        >of Mongolian Gull (Larus mongolicus), which is regular with Vega Gulls in
        >Japan, but to my knowledge has not yet been recorded in North America. What
        >I don't know is the range of plumage variation within first-cycle Vega Gull,
        >and it's possible that this bird is at the pale extreme for Vega Gull.
        >Compared with what I can learn about Vega Gull, this bird is too pale, even
        >at this time of year. The white head and breast contrasting with the
        >slightly more brownish underparts is typical of mongolicus, but Vega should
        >be darker overall and less contrasty. Also, the white and barely marked
        >scaps and coverts are typical of first-cycle mongolicus. I've posted some
        >pictures here:
        >
        >www.flickr.com/photos/oceanites
        >
        >Click on the photo, and then click the "All sizes" button to see the largest
        >image available.
        >
        >We alerted Rich Stallcup to the presence of the bird, and he and others were
        >able to refind it and photograph it again yesterday. He said it's like
        >nothing he's ever seen, which means it's something very interesting to say
        >the least. None of us thought that the bird was one of the typical hybrid
        >combinations. Once I get more pictures from Ken and Rich Stallcup, I'll
        >post those too.
        >
        >Comments welcome, especially from those with first-cycle Vega experience.
        >For a look at what Mongolian Gulls look like in Japan (and Vega Gulls) check
        >out this web site:
        >
        >http://www23.tok2.com/home/jgull/mongolicus/index.html
        >
        >Here is a link to the location of Lucchesi Park--go see it! There's also a
        >first-cycle Glaucous Gull there that walks around at your feet!
        >
        >http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=Petaluma,+CA&layer=&ie=UTF8&z=16&ll=38.251696,-122.629631&spn=0.01193,0.023239&t=h&om=1
        >
        >Thanks
        >
        >--
        >Brian L. Sullivan
        >eBird Project Leader
        ><www.ebird.org>
        >Photographic Editor,
        >Birds of North America Online
        ><http://bna.birds.cornell.edu/BNA/>
        >Cornell Lab of Ornithology
        >159 Sapsucker Woods Rd.
        >Ithaca, NY 14850
        >
        >Photographic Editor,
        >North American Birds
        >American Birding Association
        ><www.americanbirding.org>
        >
        >bls42@...
        >609-694-3280

> [...]

        Thomas Miko (Mikó Tamás)

        thomas.miko@...
        thomas_miko@...

        653 S. Indian Hill Blvd., #C
        Claremont, CA 91711
        U.S.A.
        34.109167 N, 117.718293 W

        home: (909) 445-1456
        cell: (626) 390-1935
        work: (323) 226-7855

        "Luck favors the backbone, not the wishbone."-Doyle Brunson