Possible Mongolian Gull (Larus mongolicus) in Petaluma 8-9 March

  • Brian Sullivan
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 10, 2007
      Birders

      While visiting PRBO on Thursday Ken Rosenberg and I found an interesting
      first-cycle gull at Lucchesi Park in Petaluma. The birds shows characters
      of Mongolian Gull (Larus mongolicus), which is regular with Vega Gulls in
      Japan, but to my knowledge has not yet been recorded in North America. What
      I don't know is the range of plumage variation within first-cycle Vega Gull,
      and it's possible that this bird is at the pale extreme for Vega Gull.
      Compared with what I can learn about Vega Gull, this bird is too pale, even
      at this time of year. The white head and breast contrasting with the
      slightly more brownish underparts is typical of mongolicus, but Vega should
      be darker overall and less contrasty. Also, the white and barely marked
      scaps and coverts are typical of first-cycle mongolicus. I've posted some
      pictures here:

      www.flickr.com/photos/oceanites

      Click on the photo, and then click the "All sizes" button to see the largest
      image available.

      We alerted Rich Stallcup to the presence of the bird, and he and others were
      able to refind it and photograph it again yesterday. He said it's like
      nothing he's ever seen, which means it's something very interesting to say
      the least. None of us thought that the bird was one of the typical hybrid
      combinations. Once I get more pictures from Ken and Rich Stallcup, I'll
      post those too.

      Comments welcome, especially from those with first-cycle Vega experience.
      For a look at what Mongolian Gulls look like in Japan (and Vega Gulls) check
      out this web site:

      http://www23.tok2.com/home/jgull/mongolicus/index.html

      Here is a link to the location of Lucchesi Park--go see it! There's also a
      first-cycle Glaucous Gull there that walks around at your feet!

      http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=Petaluma,+CA&layer=&ie=UTF8&z=16&ll=38.251696,-122.629631&spn=0.01193,0.023239&t=h&om=1

      Thanks

      --
      Brian L. Sullivan
      eBird Project Leader

      Photographic Editor,
      North American Birds
      American Birding Association
      <www.americanbirding.org>

      bls42@...
      609-694-3280
    • Raul Roa
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 10, 2007
        Just a thought on this one... Could it possibly be a cross between a
        Glaucus-winged and Glaucus gull???

        Regards,

        Raul Roa
        Whittier, CA

        Raul Roa
        Staff Photographer, SGVN
        1210 N. Azusa Cny. Rd., W. Covina, CA. 91790
        Office: 626.962.8811 ext: 2910 & 2238 cell: 626.736.5376
        LAT:33.99641 N - LON:118.05906 W - 365 ft. elevation
        SoCal FRS Channel 11 subcode 22
      • Thomas Miko
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 13, 2007
          2 comments:

          1) When you see mongolicus and vega in the field i.e. in ASia, you slap your forhead, and exclaim, "Man, they're obvious!" In other words, if you're looking at a gull here that just strikes you as being so different from smithonianus, et al, run with it.

          2) The Chinese (and who else?) consider what we call races of Herring Gull to be several species. They called one Mongolian Gull. I think the BRits have joined in on Armenian Gull. That's off the top of my head, without pulling the Chinese book off the shelf...

          Tom

> [...]

          >Thanks
          >
          >--
          >Brian L. Sullivan
          >eBird Project Leader
          ><www.ebird.org>
          >Photographic Editor,
          >Birds of North America Online
          ><http://bna.birds.cornell.edu/BNA/>
          >Cornell Lab of Ornithology
          >159 Sapsucker Woods Rd.
          >Ithaca, NY 14850
          >
          >Photographic Editor,
          >North American Birds
          >American Birding Association
          ><www.americanbirding.org>
          >
          >bls42@...
          >609-694-3280
          >
          >For vacation suspension of mail go to the website. Click on Edit My Membership and set your mail option to No Email. Or, send a blank email to these addresses:

          Thomas Miko (Mikó Tamás)

          thomas.miko@...
          thomas_miko@...

          653 S. Indian Hill Blvd., #C
          Claremont, CA 91711
          U.S.A.
          34.109167 N, 117.718293 W

          home: (909) 445-1456
          cell: (626) 390-1935
          work: (323) 226-7855

          "Luck favors the backbone, not the wishbone."-Doyle Brunson