Re: [CALBIRDS] Sandhill Cranes in Flight, Sacramento

  • Leigh Bartoo
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 8, 2007
      I work close to Watt and El Camino and yesterday about noon, there was a number of sandhills climbing on a thermal. I'd guess between 50-100. They were calling quite a bit and very distinct (in my opinion) from any other migrating birds. Should be easy to distinguish, not to mention fantastic to see (or rather, hear!). I used to live in Kansas and would watch flock after endless flock of v-shaped sandhills heading to Nebraska.

      Leigh Bartoo
      Sacramento

      Wanted to report that for the last week I've been hearing and seeing
      Sandhill Cranes overhead in the Sacramento area.

      Usually I hear them before I see them. Watch for vee flight formations
      with numbers of 50 birds and more. Sometimes they will fly round and
      round on a thermal before heading north.

      The flights of birds look just like flights of geese, but the high
      pitched call of the cranes will tell the difference, compared to the
      honking of the geese..___

      .

      “You cannot live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you.”
      – John Wooden