Sandhill Cranes in Flight, Sacramento

  • Franco
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 7, 2007
      Hi,

      Wanted to report that for the last week I've been hearing and seeing
      Sandhill Cranes overhead in the Sacramento area.

      Usually I hear them before I see them. Watch for vee flight formations
      with numbers of 50 birds and more. Sometimes they will fly round and
      round on a thermal before heading north.

      The flights of birds look just like flights of geese, but the high
      pitched call of the cranes will tell the difference, compared to the
      honking of the geese.

      Keep your ears and eyes open.

      Have a good day!
      Franco Rios
      Sacramento
    • Leigh Bartoo
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 8, 2007
        I work close to Watt and El Camino and yesterday about noon, there was a number of sandhills climbing on a thermal. I'd guess between 50-100. They were calling quite a bit and very distinct (in my opinion) from any other migrating birds. Should be easy to distinguish, not to mention fantastic to see (or rather, hear!). I used to live in Kansas and would watch flock after endless flock of v-shaped sandhills heading to Nebraska.

        Leigh Bartoo
        Sacramento

        Wanted to report that for the last week I've been hearing and seeing
        Sandhill Cranes overhead in the Sacramento area.

        Usually I hear them before I see them. Watch for vee flight formations
        with numbers of 50 birds and more. Sometimes they will fly round and
        round on a thermal before heading north.

        The flights of birds look just like flights of geese, but the high
        pitched call of the cranes will tell the difference, compared to the
        honking of the geese..___

        .

        “You cannot live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you.”
        – John Wooden