Potential good news for our condors

  • Maggie Rufo
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 5, 2007
      Please read and send comments of support to Fish and Game for more
      restrictions on lead ammunition in California! You can watch a video
      about this that was on the new KQED program Quest at:

      http://www.kqed.org/quest/television/view/93

      Maggie Rufo
      Novato

      Tejon Ranch to ban lead bullets in hopes of protecting condor

      Saturday, February 24, 2007
      San Francisco Chronicle
      (02-24) 03:49 PST Gorman, Calif. (AP) --

      The state's largest private game reserve plans to ban the use of lead
      bullets out of concern the ammunition is poisoning the endangered
      California condor.

      The ban at Tejon Ranch will go into effect for the 2008 hunting
      season, Robert A. Stine, president and chief executive of Tejon Ranch
      Co., said Friday.

      The sprawling 270,000-acre ranch along Interstate 5 in Kern and Los
      Angeles counties is a favorite feeding and resting spot for the
      condor.

      Stine said recent studies led him to conclude the birds were becoming
      sick or dying from lead poisoning after they consumed the remains of
      animals shot by hunters using lead bullets. There are about 70
      condors living in the wild in California, according to a federal
      estimate.

      "We decided we could and should do something about it," Stine
      said. "We decided the time to act is now."

      The ranch — home to deer, elk, antelope, wild pigs, wild turkeys,
      doves and other game — attracts more than 1,800 hunters each year.
      Stine said he expects many hunters to switch to copper bullets and
      steel pellets.

      Environmentalists applauded the decision.

      "No single step is more important for the condor's future than
      banning the use of lead ammunition within the condor's range," said
      Glenn Olson, vice president and executive director of Audubon
      California.

      Olson said the move could boost efforts to place more restrictions on
      lead bullets in other condor habitat areas.

      The state Fish and Game Commission is expected to address such
      proposals at a meeting next month.
    • debbie viess
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 6, 2007
        Lovely film clip. Certainly gives a positive spin to
        the condor recovery program. If we can really
        eliminate the lead shot, perhaps there is hope for a
        truly wild population of condors here in CA.

        Debbie Viess