Smith's Longspur not

  • gary woods
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 28, 2007
      I had a most enjoyable day on White Rock Rd in Madera, Merced and Mariposa county and
      only saw 6 vehicles all day while looking for Kathy Parker's reported Smith's Longspur.
      Imagine my suprise when I saw the 'Mea Culpa' posted this afternoon. A little late, but the
      day wasn't a waste by any means. I ran into Al Demartini up there and had a nice chat with
      Mr. Johnson who owns most of those hills it seems. Lots of Vesper Sparrows to be sure. I
      photographed 4 that were awfully pale and wondered the whole time how one could maybe
      make one into a Smith's Longspur. Al didn't think it was possible, and he turned out to be
      right. The Eurasian Widgeon on a pond along the road was a great sight and 9 gobbler
      turkeys by the farm houses at the end of the pavement were awsome. I didn't find the Lark
      Buntings Al told me about but while looking for them I had a Sharp-shinned male land on the
      fence post right next to the truck while my lens was pointed in that direction and the motor
      was off. I ripped off about 20 shots before he took off. That was a sign that I should have
      bought lottery tickets on the way home but I'm too cheap to heed my intuition I guess. Don't
      feel bad Kathy. At least you gave me an excuse to avoid work another day while I can.
      Thanks. Gary Woods-Fresno