My Salton Sea Trip (Thanks to you RFI Responses)

  • mcbirder
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 27, 2007
      Hi CALBIRDers,

      I had what I considered to be a very successful trip down to the
      Salton Sea and briefly over to the coast for some target birding. I
      really had minimal planning compared to many people. It was
      partially on a whim as I just decided to go with a week's notice. I
      basically got responses from my RFI and borrowed the 1990 edition of
      the ABA guide to Southern California. Of the thirteen species that I
      had requested suggestions for, I managed ten and didn't really try
      for the other three because they weren't being reported regularly or
      at all. It seems Scott's Orioles are being reported more now that
      I've left and maybe I'm just a sucker for punishment for checking the
      various list-serves. I didn't try for Grey Vireo or Bendire's
      Thrasher because they are too much of a long shot. I had one good
      lead on Grey Vireo, but it would have been two weeks past and I
      didn't head to that area to follow-up on it. Here are the birds I
      requested information on and where I encountered them:

      California Thrasher - Pearlblossom Park and Agua Caliente
      Crissal Thrasher - Finney Lake (one still singing at 9:30 a.m.)
      Le Conte's Thrasher - Clark's Dry Lake (one singing at 8:30 a.m.)
      Mountain Plover - Salton Sea (350 to 400 on one field!)
      Black-tailed Gnatcatcher - Salton Sea, Clark's Dry Lake, Agua Caliente
      California Gnatcatcher - Crystal Cove State Park
      Abert's Towhee - Wading through them around the Salton Sea
      Yellow-footed Gull - Red Hill Marina (second-cycle bird)
      Black-vented Shearwater - Crystal Cove State Park (~15 in 15 minutes)
      Lawrence's Goldfinch - Castaic Lagoon (3 after a long search)

      I didn't really have a plan going down there, but somehow it all
      magically fell into place and I feel I did surprisingly well! Thanks
      again to all those who responded because I wouldn't have done as well
      as I did without your input.

      Cheers,
      Jeremy Gatten
      Brentwood Bay, B.C.