Highlights from the Los Banos area and Panoche Valley 2-17/2-18-07

  • naturestoc
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 21, 2007
      Hi All.

      On the Sacramento Audubon Society's field trip to the Los Banos area
      and Panoche Valley this past weekend we observed 117 species
      including a few species of note. On Saturday we saw a group of 40+
      Great-tailed Grackles, 1 Barn Swallow and a pair of Blue-winged Teal
      along Santa Fe Grade Road. A Greater Roadrunner was sighted near the
      entrance to the Basalt campground in the San Luis Reservoir State
      Rec. Area. On Sunday, upon our return to Los Banos from Panoche
      Valley, we observed a Swainson's Hawk about 400 yards south of
      highway 152 along highway 165. The hawk was soaring above a stand of
      huge eucapyptus trees with 3 Red-tailed Hawks.

      Sunday in Panoche Valley, we stopped at Mercy Hot Springs and counted
      30 Long-eared Owls and 2 Barn Owl. The admission fee is currently
      $5.00 per person. A Cassin's Kingbird was sighted about 1 mile West
      of the intersection of Panoche Rd. and Little Panoche Rd. near the
      Bar! Two of our participants (Harlin Perryman and Valerie Phyllips)
      sighted a Grasshopper Sparrow about 2.5 miles North of the above
      mentioned intersection. I did not see this sparrow.

      Dan Brown,
      Sacramento