Re: [CALBIRDS] How to find a fellow birder

  • Hank & Priscilla Brodkin
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 8, 2001
      JenC5@... wrote:

      > Hello,
      > I have been a "backyard birder" for some time and can recognize most
      > (but not
      > all, especially differentiating the finches) of the birds that come
      > along.
      > How does one find a fellow "birder" to do day trips with? Any
      > reference to
      > lists or organizations would be appreciated. Thanks.
      > Jen

      Jen -
      First of all I would suggest to you to send your message again with your
      location on it. California is a pretty big place with many groups and
      clubs devoted to birding as well as special trips by parks, museums,
      etc. - most of which are free are especially friendly to new birders.
      Actually, Steve, location of the sender should be one of the "rules" for
      calbirds.

      --
      Hank & Priscilla Brodkin
      Carr Canyon, Cochise County, AZ
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 8, 2001
        >Hello,
        >I have been a "backyard birder" for some time and can recognize most (but not
        >all, especially differentiating the finches) of the birds that come along.
        >How does one find a fellow "birder" to do day trips with? Any reference to
        >lists or organizations would be appreciated. Thanks.
        >Jen

        I'd start by identifying just where you're located ;<} Then,
        likely prospects might have something to suggest. An obvious
        starting point to me is the fairly large number of Audobon local
        groups in Calif. If you're near one of them, attending a meeting is
        a good place to begin.

        If you're up to web browsing, here's the URL of a ( Bay Area ) site
        that has a lot of "starting points", including one to the the CA
        Audobon clubs, I hope!!

        It's at

        <A HREF="http://www.stanford.edu/~kendric/birds/">Birding URLs</A>

        If by chance, you're in or near the San Francisco Bay Area - one of
        Kendric's pointers gives some fellows complete summary of local
        outings planned by a variety of types of groups (birds, flowers,
        walking, ...)

        <A HREF="http://www.best.com/~folkbird/calendar/">Nature Activities</A>

        HTH, Scott
        --
        Scott T. Spencer aka stspencer@...
        Menlo Park, CA spouse: AWfolks@...

      • Steve Sosensky
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 8, 2001
          At 04:14 PM 2001-07-08 -0700, Hank & Priscilla Brodkin wrote:
          >Jen -
          >First of all I would suggest to you to send your message again with your
          >location on it. California is a pretty big place with many groups and
          >clubs devoted to birding as well as special trips by parks, museums,
          >etc. - most of which are free are especially friendly to new birders.
          >Actually, Steve, location of the sender should be one of the "rules" for
          >calbirds.

          I agree, Hank. Thanks for the reminder. The following text has been added
          to the group description:

          A signature is required at the end of every message and must contain your
          first and last names, your e-mail address, and your city.

          Good birding,
          Steve <mailto:steve@...>, <mailto:mobile@...>
          Co-listowner

          10834 Blix Street #213 818-508-4946
          Toluca Lake, CA 91602 34*09'02" N, 118*22'47" W
          SoCal FRS: use channel 11 code 22
        • JenC5@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 8, 2001
            Someone suggested including my location (which was a very good suggestion,
            thanks). If anyone knows of a group in the Inland Empire, the information

            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 8, 2001
              Steve,

              One of the reasons I have not contributed actively to this list is that the
              tone, in the past, has quickly become rather nasty and to be truthful, I was
              rather intimidated. My question was not intended to solicit personal
              solicit fellow birders (which I thought this list was intended for).
              Obviously, you disagree. In the future, I will refrain from taking an active
              part in this list (just in case the answer is available "somewhere" else).
              Thanks anyhow.
              Jen Castro
              Oak Glen, CA

              > Jen,
              >
              > It's no longer a suggestion, it's a rule. Every message you send to this
              > list must include your first and last names, your e-mail address, and your
              > city.
              >
              > The Inland Empire is a big place. I think you'll find you get answers
              > faster if you ask specific questions rather than general ones. You don't
              > need to include a street address, but a city is minimum acceptable.
              >
              > Also, please use the web site to do research before asking questions. This
              > list and its web site are still young, but if you go to the Bookmarks
              > section, then Audubon Chapters, then SoCal Audubon Chapters and clicked on
              > your county, you'll find San Bernardino Valley AS.
              >

              > Good birding,
              > Steve <mailto:steve@...>, <mailto:mobile@...>
              > Co-listowner

            • Bob & Carol Yutzy
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 8, 2001
                Hi Jen,

                I would suggest looking in your local newspaper for nature oriented filed trips and attend them and find some other
                bird, butterfly or flower lovers and see if you can get together and go out with them. Check out the clubs listing in
                the paper and look fo the above oriented groups and don't forget photography clubs - they usually have some bird
                oriented folks.

                Another option would be to check with your local Junior college, Senior college and/or high school with adult education
                programs. Look for bird, california plants and animals, and similar classes and take them (or arrange to go on their
                field trips).

                Check at any nature centers for groups or trips and attend them.

                Also find out if there are any nesting, atlasing, banding or other bird projects you could volunteer for by asking any
                or all the above.

                You are bound to meet bird oriented people there in any of these.

                Also if you have a nearby bigger city, get involved and attend their Audubon meetings. I bet you meet some other people
                who live near to you who also attend the meetings.
                It might even be worthwhile to run an ad in your local paper looking for like oriented people and set up regular
                meetings (at a safe public place/library, etc.) and field trips.

                I would also try to get the beginning type birding magazines - Birder's Digest, Wild Bird and Birder's World.

                Well those are just some ideas.

                Good Luck,

                Bob Y. in Redding Calif.

                JenC5@... wrote:

                > Steve,
                >
                > One of the reasons I have not contributed actively to this list is that the
                > tone, in the past, has quickly become rather nasty and to be truthful, I was
                > rather intimidated. My question was not intended to solicit personal
                > solicit fellow birders (which I thought this list was intended for).
                > Obviously, you disagree. In the future, I will refrain from taking an active
                > part in this list (just in case the answer is available "somewhere" else).
                > Thanks anyhow.
                > Jen Castro
                > Oak Glen, CA
                >
                > > Jen,
                > >
                > > It's no longer a suggestion, it's a rule. Every message you send to this
                > > list must include your first and last names, your e-mail address, and your
                > > city.
                > >
                > > The Inland Empire is a big place. I think you'll find you get answers
                > > faster if you ask specific questions rather than general ones. You don't
                > > need to include a street address, but a city is minimum acceptable.
                > >
                > > Also, please use the web site to do research before asking questions. This
                > > list and its web site are still young, but if you go to the Bookmarks
                > > section, then Audubon Chapters, then SoCal Audubon Chapters and clicked on
                > > your county, you'll find San Bernardino Valley AS.
                > >

                > > Good birding,
                > > Steve <mailto:steve@...>, <mailto:mobile@...>
                > > Co-listowner

                > For vacation suspension of mail go to the website. Click on Edit My Membership and set your mail option to No Email.

              • Scott Spencer
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 9, 2001
                  >Hello,
                  >I have been a "backyard birder" for some time and can recognize most (but not
                  >all, especially differentiating the finches) of the birds that come along.
                  >How does one find a fellow "birder" to do day trips with? Any reference to
                  >lists or organizations would be appreciated. Thanks.
                  >Jen

                  To persist beyond what probably seems reasonable -- here's another idea

                  My wife (and I, of course) belongs to the American Birding Association

                  <A HREF="http://www.americanbirding.org/">Click here</A>

                  out of Colorado Springs, CO - which publishes an annual directory
                  called "A Birder's Resource Guide". It includes names & addresses of
                  (willing) members sorted out by state and first three digits of their
                  ZIP code, eg. mine is CA/940/Spencer. If you're interested and will
                  supply me with the equivalent info for your area - I'll xerox a page
                  or two of our '01 Guide and send it along. Presumably the people in
                  this book are at least moderately tolerant of calls from strangers
                  asking for area birding info.

                  I'd need your ZIP and a mailing address, right? Looking that over
                  again, I see that what I really need is just a mailing address ;<}

                  Cheeps, Scott

                  P.S. Looking once more at my last two lines -- I conclude that in
                  this mailing list business, you want to be concise -- but not so
                  concise that you "damage the surroundings" or "hurt" one of your
                  email correspondents. We're all in this birding biz for pleasure,
                  right??