RFI: Southern California Targets

  • mcbirder
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 6, 2007
      Hi all,

      I'm doing a trip on a whim down to SoCal next monday from British
      Columbia. I realize it's a bit early for some species, but I thought
      I'd throw out a list of species and see if anyone has any suggestions
      on places to check out. I am trying to get my hands on the bird
      finding guide to Southern California, which will aid a fair bit, but
      local knowledge surpasses these guides. The species that I expect to
      be around that I haven't seen are:

      LeConte's Thrasher
      Crissal Thrasher
      California Thrasher
      Abert's Towhee
      Lawrence's Goldfinch
      Mountain Plover
      Grey Vireo (apparently a small wintering population far south?)
      California Gnatcatcher
      Black-tailed Gnatcatcher
      Scott's Oriole (small resident population?)
      Black-vented Shearwater (doesn't fit well in the list does it?!)

      Two species I was hoping to encounter, but think it is probably too
      early for are:

      Bendire's Thrasher
      Yellow-footed Gull

      I like to think I am a well-rounded naturalist, so I am also
      interested in reptiles, amphibians, butterflies, and mammals, so any
      suggestions for places where I might bump into any those critters is
      welcomed also (or am I too early most things?). I'll check back on
      the list to see if there are any responses, but you can also contact
      me off the list at jarofme@...

      Thanks,
      Jeremy Gatten
      Brentwood Bay, B.C.