Possible Slaty-backed Gull at Pt. Pinos, Monterey, 5 Feb 2007

  • Brian Sullivan
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 5 2:04 PM
      Birders

      This morning while walking the dog I stumbled upon two interesting gulls at
      Pt. Pinos. One was a classic first-cycle Glaucous Gull, the other a
      possible second-cycle Slaty-backed Gull. I was able to photograph both, and
      I've posted photos here:

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/oceanites/

      The bird was quite striking compared with the surrounding Western Gulls in
      that it was very white-headed with an obvious pale eye. In flight the inner
      primaries were pale and I could see a hint of the "string of pearls" caused
      by the pale inner vanes on the outer primaries.

      Comments are of course welcome. Here is an assortment of similarly aged
      Slaty-backed gulls taken in Japan on 15 Feb 2001.

      http://vegae.hp.infoseek.co.jp/SlaG2w010215/Sla2w010215Saka.html

      Thanks
      --
      Brian L. Sullivan