Re: Eurasian Collared Dove in California

  • Nate Dias
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 5 10:17 AM
      Allow me to share some east coast perspective.

      ECD have been firmly established in coastal South
      Carolina for over a decade. Here, they favor the
      developed sea islands (in particular dry, scrubby
      beachfront areas) over any other habitat type.

      ECD are also well-established in our rural,
      agricultural areas and in suburban areas around cities
      and towns.

      In certain coastal places like Sullivan's Island, SC -
      ECD are the predominate Dove, having supplanted
      Mourning Doves from that category. They seem to be in
      the process of doing this in portions of adjacent
      Mount Pleasant, SC (on the mainland).

      Have no doubt that Eurasian Collared-Doves are in CA
      to stay and that their presence will affect other bird
      species, in particular other Doves.

      I am a bit fearful of the long-term effect of ECD on
      Inca Doves in (sub)urban areas in places like SE
      Arizona.

      However, the presence of ECD is not bad news for all
      birds - for example the Cooper's Hawks that nest in my
      neighborhood. They seem to welcome ECDs filling the
      Passenger Pigeon's place on the menu.

      Nathan Dias - Charleston, SC

      Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.