Re: [SDBIRDS] Booby frenzy

  • Douglas Aguillard
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 4, 2002
      I don't know what happen today, and for people to be getting 10 feet from
      the bird does sound very close, but yesterday, the photographers (including
      me) stayed back, and the bird sat on the rock for over 2 hours. It was more
      worried about the gulls, than it was about the people. The signs were put
      up to stop the kids from jumping off "the clam" and killing themselves, and
      yesterday, many lifeguards passed by and never said a word to any of us
      (including the tourists). You also do not have to "go over the rails" as
      Bob suggested, to get onto the rocks, you can simply walk to them from the
      end of the walkway.

      As for the American Birding Associations "Code of Ethics", this is an old
      debate........First of all, I guess you have to be a member of the ABA to
      CARE about their "So-called Ethics", that they follow, only from time to
      time when it suits them. Also ethics are very vague as it depends on what
      your morals are. My morals and ethics are this. Don't do anything that
      would injure or kill the bird, take only photos, leave only footprints.

      Doug Aguillard
      (Quit the ABA- when they went back on their ethics time & time again)
      San Diego, CA
      doug@...

      At 08:34 PM 1/4/2002 -0800, Cathleen wrote:
      >Bob:
      >
      >Couldn't agree more! Isn't there a 'code of ethics' for birders (ABA I
      >think)? I have read (more than once) that some birders forget the 'code'
      >in their excitement during rare sightings (going on private property w/out
      >permission, etc.). Good reminder - thanks!
      >
      >The Sharpes
      >San Diego, CA
      >csharpe@...
    • Cathleen
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 4, 2002
        WHOOPS! sorry Doug. I only asked if there was a 'code' (I said 'I think').
        I don't belong and I guess I will do some more research if I ever think of
        becoming a member!

        I usually don't post much but after reading the previous emails on the Booby
        subject it did sound like a couple of people had crossed over. I have had
        people step in my line of sight (I am sure I have done that also) and get
        too close and scare the bird away, etc. Like I said, during the excitement
        it is easy to forget.

        I agree with your 'ethics' but I do agree with Bob also. Some people might
        do things while not realizing it. I am guilty. For example - when all
        those great birds were at Ft. Rosecrans this past Fall someone posted that
        the cars were not supposed to be parked in a specific area on the inside
        road and we were not aware of that and had been parking there.

        No big deal tho - and thanks for letting me know how you feel about the ABA!
        I wasn't aware of their past.

        > I don't know what happen today, and for people to be getting 10 feet from
        > the bird does sound very close, but yesterday, the photographers
        (including
        > me) stayed back, and the bird sat on the rock for over 2 hours. It was
        more
        > worried about the gulls, than it was about the people. The signs were put
        > up to stop the kids from jumping off "the clam" and killing themselves,
        and
        > yesterday, many lifeguards passed by and never said a word to any of us
        > (including the tourists). You also do not have to "go over the rails" as
        > Bob suggested, to get onto the rocks, you can simply walk to them from the
        > end of the walkway.
        >
        > As for the American Birding Associations "Code of Ethics", this is an old
        > debate........First of all, I guess you have to be a member of the ABA to
        > CARE about their "So-called Ethics", that they follow, only from time to
        > time when it suits them. Also ethics are very vague as it depends on what
        > your morals are. My morals and ethics are this. Don't do anything that
        > would injure or kill the bird, take only photos, leave only footprints.
        >

        > Doug Aguillard
        > (Quit the ABA- when they went back on their ethics time & time again)
        > San Diego, CA
        > doug@...
        >

        > At 08:34 PM 1/4/2002 -0800, Cathleen wrote:
        > >Bob:
        > >
        > >Couldn't agree more! Isn't there a 'code of ethics' for birders (ABA I
        > >think)? I have read (more than once) that some birders forget the 'code'
        > >in their excitement during rare sightings (going on private property
        w/out
        > >permission, etc.). Good reminder - thanks!
        > >
        > >The Sharpes
        > >San Diego, CA
        > >csharpe@...

      • Cathleen