Masked Booby

  • Bob Miller
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 4, 2002
      Am I missing something here? I thought the cliffs were kind of dangerous and off limits, therefore the rails along the trails. So, if it is ok for birders to climb all over them, what the heck, why would anyone complain of teenagers climbing them at night. Do the birds resting there in the day time not need as much respect as the ones roosting there at night? The third email I saw on SDBirds, after I posted about having pictures on our website, was from someone who was concerned that the "photographers" would scare it off. My first thought was that he did not realize that the pictures were taken from the side of the street and on the same trail that everyone is supposed to be on. Then I read that people were taking pictures within ten feet and I thought man, that bird has moved really close!!
      Am I going to see pictures on the front page of the Union -Tribune of birders and bird photographers climbing all over the cliffs? Boy, there is a great way to set an example. Tomorrow will be the first weekend since the discovery of the Masked Booby and I will bet that many of you are headed out to see this most awesome bird. I can tell you it is beautiful and that I had every bit of a life look at a life bird from where we were meant to be.
      Please tell me that this, (my first ever public rant, I think?), is way off base and I totally misunderstood what is going on out there!
      PS, enjoy your trip to see the Masked Booby!!

      (!__!)
      (0V0) HAPPY BIRDING
      {}~~{} BOB MILLER
      =='''='''==
      Imperial, CA
      SouthWest Birders
      760.355.1008
      http://www.southwestbirders.com
      bob.miller@...

    • John Martin
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 5, 2002
        Bob, your rant is entirely appropriate. Whether birders rely on the code of
        ethics of a birding organization, or their own common sense and
        consideration for others, it's important 1) not to disturb the bird and
        cause it to expend more precious energy than it would otherwise expend, and
        2) not to scare it away and cause a fellow birder, who drove from Temecula
        or Sacramento or Portland and only has 2 hours to look for the bird, to miss
        it. Dang, I encountered the same problem as birders were swarming around
        the Nutting's Flycatcher in Orange County. There are always a few foul
        balls willing to risk someone else's lifer so that they might get another
        photo from ridiculously close. I saw the Booby the evening of New Year's
        Day, and got a great look from well back on the hill, where I'm confident I
        wasn't disturbing ANY birds, incuding the booby. Some boor, whom I had let
        use my scope to look at the bird from a reasonable distance, apparently
        thought that wasn't good enough and clambered down onto the rocks until he
        was about 10 feet from the bird. While it didn't fly immediately, it was
        indeed disturbed, as it held it's head high, switching its head back and
        forth. It had previously been mostly resting with its head tucked, but
        looking out several times in the half-hour that we watched, offering fine
        views of its dark mask and greenish-yellow bill. How much did this fellow's
        antics contribute to the bird's discontent? How much shorter a period of
        time will it remain in La Jolla because some people insist on walking right
        up to it? By the way, if any birders cause a Brown Pelican any apprehension
        as they scale the rocks in quest of the booby, that constitutes harassment,
        and those birders are in violation of the Endangered Species Act. So
        people, have some respect for the birds, and your fellow birders, and watch
        the bird from a reasonable distance.

        John Martin

        > Am I missing something here? I thought the cliffs were kind of
        dangerous and off limits, therefore the rails along the trails. So, if it
        is ok for birders to climb all over them, what the heck, why would anyone
        complain of teenagers climbing them at night. Do the birds resting there in
        the day time not need as much respect as the ones roosting there at night?
        The third email I saw on SDBirds, after I posted about having pictures on
        our website, was from someone who was concerned that the "photographers"
        would scare it off. My first thought was that he did not realize that the
        pictures were taken from the side of the street and on the same trail that
        everyone is supposed to be on. Then I read that people were taking
        pictures within ten feet and I thought man, that bird has moved really
        close!!
        > Am I going to see pictures on the front page of the Union -Tribune of
        birders and bird photographers climbing all over the cliffs? Boy, there is
        a great way to set an example. Tomorrow will be the first weekend since the
        discovery of the Masked Booby and I will bet that many of you are headed out
        to see this most awesome bird. I can tell you it is beautiful and that I
        had every bit of a life look at a life bird from where we were meant to be.
        > Please tell me that this, (my first ever public rant, I think?), is
        way off base and I totally misunderstood what is going on out there!
        > PS, enjoy your trip to see the Masked Booby!!
        >

        > (!__!)
        > (0V0) HAPPY BIRDING
        > {}~~{} BOB MILLER
        > =='''='''==
        > Imperial, CA
        > SouthWest Birders
        > 760.355.1008
        > http://www.southwestbirders.com
        > bob.miller@...

        Membership and set your mail option to No Email.

      • Bob Miller
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 12, 2002
          I just read, with great disappointment, of the possible death of the
          Masked Booby. I sincerely hope that is not the case. I was fortunate to be
          there on New Years day when it made a truly grand entry. Another birder,
          who was there that day, wrote that he had returned to see it about a week
          later. He was amazed to see a number of birders standing ON the spot where
          the Booby had first landed that day. Having seen that spot myself, I could
          not imagine people being out there. I have not been back to the site
          since. Am I wrong? Are those cliffs an area that is open and accessible
          to the public? Knowing that there are dozens of possible reasons that the
          Masked Booby was perched " where the Booby was very low on the cliffs, near
          the water, and a large wave swept the booby into a crevice"

          The question must be asked, were birders occupying it's preferred perches?

          (!__!)
          (0V0) HAPPY BIRDING
          {}~~{} BOB MILLER
          =='''='''==
          Imperial, CA
          SouthWest Birders
          760.355.1008
          http://www.southwestbirders.com
          bob.miller@...
        • Ed Stonick
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 13, 2002
            I believe it may have been a factor. We saw the Booby last Sunday morning,
            and there was at least one photographer who walked out on the rock, right
            past the warning signs. Ironically, she was in a position about 10-15 from
            the bird but unable to see it because it was over a short rise. The spot
            where the bird actually was, however, was too high to be affected by waves.
            Another observer had been there a few days earlier when someone walked out
            to get a closer look at the bird and wound up flushing it.

            Regards,
            Ed

            stonicks@...

          • MiriamEagl@aol.com
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 13, 2002
              Hi, Bob,

              In a message dated 01/12/02 10:28:55 PM Pacific Standard Time,
              bob.miller@... writes:

              > Are those cliffs an area that is open and accessible
              > to the public?

              No: there are signs clearing marking the area as "closed" (this is just
              beyond the observation deck. I suppose it's "legal" to poke around the rocks
              immediately surrounding the deck (I did, anyway, I admit), but the signs
              beyond that are clear.

              Mary Beth Stowe
              San Diego, CA
              MiriamEagl@...

            • mhast27
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 13, 2002
                From what we have been told today ...The Masked Booby has NOT been seen the last three days Marjorie and Don

                Marjorie Hastings
                Spring Valley,CA

                "To love what you do
                and feel that it matters....
                how could anything
                be more fun?"

              • topazlisa
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 18, 2002
                  This issue has not been addressed and very well should be. A
                  bird, just because it was in a place not normally seen, was hounded
                  to injury and probable death. This was done, according to the posts,
                  not just by new birders "who didn't know better" but by "dedicated
                  birders". With the pictures to prove it.
                  In good conscience I feel as if I have to unsubscribe to this
                  and the other bird lists I am on. If I'm lucky enough to find a real
                  rarity, I will watch it and then quietly walk away telling no one but
                  my life list and my husband. I know many will not agree with me but
                  I'll sleep better knowing I am not the cause of some bird's death.
                  Many people speak of morals, ethics and responsibility I believe
                  there are many people who need to re-examine their values.

                  Lisa Trueman
                • COBB_ROGER
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 18, 2002
                    A Masked Booby is currently at the Wetlands and Wildlife Center of
                    Huntington Beach. "Found injured in Corona del Mar with a fish hook in it's
                    stomach". See story at www.latimes.com/tcn/pilot/.
                    Pretty likely the very same bird.

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 18, 2002
                      I have kept rather quiet on this issue, but finally I will address it. The
                      La Jolla Booby was NOT KILLED BY THE PHOTOGRAPHERS. If it is indeed DEAD!
                      (We don't know this to be true, and probably never will). There were
                      unusually high waves that entire week. The bird was swept into the rock
                      crevices along the cliffs at least twice during that week. If it was
                      killed, then it was Mother Nature that did it. The bird was photographed at
                      close ranges by photographers, but never appeared to be stressed by them.
                      The entire name of "Booby" came from the sailors who observed that the
                      birds were not afraid of humans, and would allow close approached.

                      IMHO, the bird was more stressed by the Western Gulls, than by any human.
                      Yes, I heard that there was a few people who got within a few feet of the
                      bird, and yes I would say,that is too close, but most of the photographers
                      stayed back at least 30 feet or more. I am sick and tire of hearing about
                      morals and ethics. How many of you go to your local clubs and enjoy the
                      slide shows, or the Nature Shows on television, or even the photographic
                      field guides? How do you think they get those fantastic shots? From a mile
                      away? NOT!!!

                      I have seen more birders trespass on lands, that are legally posted with
                      "No Trespassing" signs, and have even heard about birds being killed by
                      non-photographic birders. I have never heard of a photographer killing a
                      bird. The "Non-legal" signs at La Jolla Cove are meant to protect the City
                      of San Diego from the idiots who jump off the cliffs and into the ocean,
                      not so that people can not enjoy the view. the wooden boardwalk along that
                      cliff has a very large opening right onto the area in question, so that
                      people can go onto the cliffs. I have seen Professional Ornithologist kill
                      birds under the pretense of scientific study, when it was more of the
                      keeping the "Baseball-card type" of collecting. I see hunters allowed on
                      Refuges and Sanctuaries to kill, but again to date, have I ever seen a
                      photographers kill a bird.

                      Learn the facts, not everything you read is true.

                      Doug Aguillard
                      San Diego, CA
                      doug@...

                      At 10:03 PM 1/18/2002 +0000, topazlisa wrote:
                      >This issue has not been addressed and very well should be. A bird, just
                      >because it was in a place not normally seen, was hounded
                      >to injury and probable death. This was done, according to the posts, not
                      >just by new birders "who didn't know better" but by "dedicated
                      >birders". With the pictures to prove it.
                    • Butch Carter
                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 18, 2011
                        Edited by moderator for spelling:
                        Message 11 of 16 , Dec 19, 2011
                          Hello

                            Was the Masked Booby seen today (Monday)??

                               Thank You
                               Butch Carter
                               Santa Ysabel

                        • Christopher Taylor
                          Message 12 of 16 , Dec 19, 2011
                            Hi Butch, yes it has. There have been posts on OrangeCountyBirding but
                            people have neglected to CC Calbirds. You can search the message boards
                            of OC Birding here:

                            http://www.calbirds.com/?board=orangecountybirding&text=Masked%20Booby

                            --
                            Christopher Taylor
                            Marina del Rey, CA

                              Was the Masked Booby seen today (Monday)??

                                 Thank You
                                 Butch Carter
                                 Santa Ysabel

                            Yahoo! Groups Links
                          • Michelle Townsley
                            Message 13 of 16 , Dec 20, 2011
                              If you had been at Dana Point Harbor this morning at 7:30 am you would have witnessed my dance of joy as I scoped the Masked Booby! I was looking at the east end of the breakwater from the loop parking lot. If you can see the Fish & Game vessel Thresher, you are in the right place.

                              Michelle Townsley
                              Ecstatic Orange County born, Ventura County resident

                              Sent from my iPhone