Black-headed Gull and stuff

  • Bob Miller
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 3 6:11 PM
      Hi all.

      Fun below sea level! Paul Jorgensen and I went for a look at the Black-headed Gull on the excuse that we had to do some scouting of the Salton Sea State Park and Dos Palmas for the bird festival. Seatech is not where I thought it was... So when Paul and I got together at Lincoln and Ave 68 he lead over to where it really is... It sits right on the side of Hwy 86S which is more like a freeway at that point. We pulled in at the entrance and parked out of the way to go for a walk. Noticed that there was another vehicle parked on the side of the freeway adjacent to the ponds about a hundred yards down and first thought was birders. In fact it was a couple with a flat tire and the guy was trying to flag down some help. He must have seen us stop down the road so here he comes. There was a language barrier but through sign language and some spanish that he probably got a laugh out of it was determined he had no jack or lug wrench. Yikes.... we got birding to do but what the heck, got the jack out of my pickup and the lug wrench out of Paul's vehicle and and with our scopes over our shoulders headed that way. Jack was too high so we had to do some lifting but the tire was changed and they were on their was in about five minutes. We figured that had to be worth some good karma in our favor. No gulls anywhere on the ponds.

      We head for the Whitewater River Delta. Signs all over the place that were not there last time I was. KEEP OUT! That was when our pay it forward came into play. Folks, that end of the Whitewater River is on Torrez Martinez tribal land and they are now serious about enforcing the no tresspassing and have had the law out a few times. Their problem is with hunters shooting things up, dumping and the like BUT... they are very interested in having birders and eco tourism to the area. They welcome birders and you are welcome to bird there but PLEASE...PLEASE call for permision. The contact is Debby, not sure of the spelling, but she is in charge there. Her number is 760-598-6574. When you reach the Whitewater River on Lincoln Road you go left on the east levee to reach the end of the delta. Straight ahead across the river will take you to a birding area that they are constructing. Paul and I got out to the end of the delta about 0900. Lots of birds and lots of Bonaparte's mixed in. We scanned them several times and were just starting to feel like we did not have much chance when there it was!! This pay it forward stuff is getting better now! We watched the Black-headed Gull preen and do it's thing for about 30 minutes. Probably would not have found it with binoculars alone but it sure stands out through a scope and you know it as soon as you get it.

      We then went into Dos Palmas and were amazed at how birdless it was. All that water and no egrets or herons or....just no birds! Wierd.

      On my way home I stopped at Salt Creek. Birds of note were two Red-breasted Merganser and about 40 to 50 Common Goldeneye but could not pick out a Barrows.

      Oh, and the Common Ground-Dove that we found on a nest at Cattle Park two weeks ago... still there. There were also seven Western Bluebirds at the park.

      Gotta run. See ya at the sea..............

      (!__!)
      (0V0) HAPPY BIRDING
      {}~~{} BOB MILLER
      =='''='''==

      Southwest Birders
      108 West I Street
      Brawley, CA. 92227
      Imperial County
      760-455-1413
      http://www.southwestbirders.com
      bob.miller@...
    • Lilith Mageborn
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 4 8:22 PM
        Dang! I wish I'd had this e-mail in hand today. I went without my laptop
        computer on the Sea & Sage Audubon trip (led by the Leipzigs) to Salton
        Sea Saturday and today. After the group disbanded, my carpool mates and I
        (I was the driver) went over to Ave 68 and Lincoln, to St. Anthony's Fish
        Farm. Nothing. We headed down to the end of Lincoln (south?) and
        realized it was Torrez Martinez tribal land and turned back; we did NOT
        want to trespass or otherwise cause any problems. If I'd had that
        information/number...why...we coulda gotten the Black Headed Gull! LOL

        We then went back onto Hwy 111 down to Johnson (Johnston?) and went to
        the VERY end, where water covers the dirt road. Holy smokes, were there a
        LOT of gulls but no Black Headed Gull. We watched one possible Glaucous
        Winged hybrid (x who knows what). End of that road, there's barely enough
        room to turn around but my Escape managed handily. We were there from
        3:30 to 4:30 today.

        Great trip, but I'm bringing my laptop next time. :-)

        Sue Jorgenson
        Anaheim