RE: [CALBIRDS] Re: Eurasian Collared Dove in California

  • CHISHOLM, Graham
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 3, 2007
      One good source of information on reported locations is www.eBird.org
      <http://www.ebird.org/> . You can do a search by species and location
      and it will generate a map. Here is the data available for Eurasian
      Collared Dove on eBird for California. It will generate a map if you
      hit the tab on the top right.

      http://ebird.org/go/GuideMe?source=changeLocation&speciesCodes=eucdov&re
      portType=species&bMonth=01&bYear=2003&eMonth=12&eYear=2007&parentState=U
      S-NY&getLocations=states&states=US-CA&countyState=US-NY&hotspotState=US-
      NY&bcrState=US-NY&continue.x=13&continue.y=3&continue=Continue

      Thanks. Graham

      Graham Chisholm
      Deputy State Director &
      Conservation Director
      Audubon California
      4225 Hollis Street
      Emeryville, California 94608
      Tel. 510-601-1866/w
      Tel. 510-301-9407/c
      Fax 510-601-1954

    • Bill Miller
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 3, 2007
        Eurasian collared doves have also been reported as far north as Humboldt and
        Siskiyou counties.

        --
        Bill Miller
        Marysville, CA

      • Nate Dias
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 5, 2007
          Allow me to share some east coast perspective.

          ECD have been firmly established in coastal South
          Carolina for over a decade. Here, they favor the
          developed sea islands (in particular dry, scrubby
          beachfront areas) over any other habitat type.

          ECD are also well-established in our rural,
          agricultural areas and in suburban areas around cities
          and towns.

          In certain coastal places like Sullivan's Island, SC -
          ECD are the predominate Dove, having supplanted
          Mourning Doves from that category. They seem to be in
          the process of doing this in portions of adjacent
          Mount Pleasant, SC (on the mainland).

          Have no doubt that Eurasian Collared-Doves are in CA
          to stay and that their presence will affect other bird
          species, in particular other Doves.

          I am a bit fearful of the long-term effect of ECD on
          Inca Doves in (sub)urban areas in places like SE
          Arizona.

          However, the presence of ECD is not bad news for all
          birds - for example the Cooper's Hawks that nest in my
          neighborhood. They seem to welcome ECDs filling the
          Passenger Pigeon's place on the menu.

          Nathan Dias - Charleston, SC

          Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.