Re: Eurasian Collared Dove in California

  • Hank Brodkin
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 3 9:32 AM
      I wouldn't be surprised if they are in all of the central and southern
      counties and in Inyo.
      They have also spread into Arizona, Sonora and Chihuahua at least. In
      Arizona they seem to pop up in small towns - in the middle of the Sonora
      Desert miles from anywhere. I am sure if you checked (and maybe have)
      places like China Lake, Borrego Springs, Big Pine, etc. they would be there.

      Hank Brodkin
      Carr Canyon, Cochise County, AZ
      hbrodkin@...
      "Butterflies of Arizona - a Photographic Guide"
      http://members.cox.net/hbrodkin/
      1a. Eurasian Collared Dove in California
      Posted by: "SiriusGuy@..." SiriusGuy@... siriusguy50
      Date: Fri Feb 2, 2007 9:35 am ((PST))

      <<Why is it that Eurasian Collared Doves go so completely under reported?
      We hear more instances of people seeing Orange Bishops than we do of
      Collared
      Doves and yet the latter is much less likely an escapee! Any thoughts?>>
    • CHISHOLM, Graham
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 3 10:09 AM
        One good source of information on reported locations is www.eBird.org
        <http://www.ebird.org/> . You can do a search by species and location
        and it will generate a map. Here is the data available for Eurasian
        Collared Dove on eBird for California. It will generate a map if you
        hit the tab on the top right.

        http://ebird.org/go/GuideMe?source=changeLocation&speciesCodes=eucdov&re
        portType=species&bMonth=01&bYear=2003&eMonth=12&eYear=2007&parentState=U
        S-NY&getLocations=states&states=US-CA&countyState=US-NY&hotspotState=US-
        NY&bcrState=US-NY&continue.x=13&continue.y=3&continue=Continue

        Thanks. Graham

        Graham Chisholm
        Deputy State Director &
        Conservation Director
        Audubon California
        4225 Hollis Street
        Emeryville, California 94608
        Tel. 510-601-1866/w
        Tel. 510-301-9407/c
        Fax 510-601-1954

      • Bill Miller
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 3 10:19 PM
          Eurasian collared doves have also been reported as far north as Humboldt and
          Siskiyou counties.

          --
          Bill Miller
          Marysville, CA

        • Nate Dias
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 5 10:17 AM
            Allow me to share some east coast perspective.

            ECD have been firmly established in coastal South
            Carolina for over a decade. Here, they favor the
            developed sea islands (in particular dry, scrubby
            beachfront areas) over any other habitat type.

            ECD are also well-established in our rural,
            agricultural areas and in suburban areas around cities
            and towns.

            In certain coastal places like Sullivan's Island, SC -
            ECD are the predominate Dove, having supplanted
            Mourning Doves from that category. They seem to be in
            the process of doing this in portions of adjacent
            Mount Pleasant, SC (on the mainland).

            Have no doubt that Eurasian Collared-Doves are in CA
            to stay and that their presence will affect other bird
            species, in particular other Doves.

            I am a bit fearful of the long-term effect of ECD on
            Inca Doves in (sub)urban areas in places like SE
            Arizona.

            However, the presence of ECD is not bad news for all
            birds - for example the Cooper's Hawks that nest in my
            neighborhood. They seem to welcome ECDs filling the
            Passenger Pigeon's place on the menu.

            Nathan Dias - Charleston, SC

            Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.